Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #1 
spotaflint33

New Aquarium Questions

I just got a new 2 gallon tank rather then the little half gallon thing I had been using. I have a couple of quick questions:

1. Is it safe to put the plastic shield and lit hood on the tank? I know my fish needs air but I wasn't sure if there was an issue with these two items. Also there is a half inch gap between the collar on the tank and the water level.

2. How long does it take for a heater to start working? I bought one and the water remains cold to the touch.
spotaflint33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #2 
Noko

I can't really answer the one question due to me being more of a visual person. I can only go off of pictures. Descriptions are hard for me... However I can answer the heater one. When I have my fish tanks heated, it feels cold to the touch. You have to remember that your body temperature is almost 100 degrees F. Something that is around 80 degrees F is going to fell a little cold. I would get a thermometer for your tank. They don't cost too much.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Does the hood have any kind of hole where air can get through? I don't think it should take too long for a heater to heat a 2 gallon tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

As long as there is about an inch between the very top of the hood and the water line and you open the hood at least once a day you should be fine.

Your heater should be working but there is no way to tell unless you have a thermometer. These are the best IMO (and really cheap)http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752255

They have similar ones at walmart and petco under different brand names but they're all usually under $3. These are the most accurate therms you can get.. the stick on kind not so much. Cheap digital kitchen thermometers are also good for quick temp checks.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #5 
spotaflint33

Here are some pictures.

The one is the plastic shield item. It has a hole near the bottom of the object.

Hood

Hood Side View with "slots"

I'm not sure if the heater is working but my fish is constantly by it right now and not going anywhere else. Does that mean its working?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

You have no way to know if your heater is working until you buy a thermometer. Many fish hang out near their heaters.. even if they're off.. they like to sleep behind them.

I'm not really sure what your asking about your hood.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 AM   #7 
spotaflint33

As far as the hood thing I was asking if there would be an issue due to the clear plastic plate that would have to go under the hood (between the water line and the hood itself). It only has an opening where the hatch is on the hood. I didn't know if this would pose an issue or if I should drill some holes in it to fix the issue.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

Oh ok.. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you leave 1inch of water between the plastic top and the water line for air and take the hood/plate off everyday to let the air circulate through. I really can't think of anyother way to let light through without you losing the use of your lighted hood.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #9 
Eolith

Yeah, it's impossible to tell whether your heater is functioning properly unless you get a thermometer. They usually run about 99 cents each... so it's not a huge investment. I also find that the appropriate water temperature feels cool to the touch, unless I've been out and about in the cold weather and come back and fiddle with something in my tank, at which point it feels sort of warmish. Given all of these variables, it's impossible to have an accurate idea for the water temp purely by feeling it.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #10 
spotaflint33

Thanks. The water is at a good temperature despite Squishy's vast hatred for the thermometer. He was flaring at it for a few minutes. Quite funny though.