Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #1 
smallvle

*sigh* keeps ripping his fins!! : (

You need to know what's been going on to understand how frustrating this problem is. : ( To start at the beginning, about, oh, 4 months ago or so, my betta Seuss got a small rip in his tail fin (sorry, not sure of proper names.) I didn't put salt in his water or anything (stupid, I know, I didn't think it was a big deal,) and he ended up with fin rot. So I researched fin rot on here and started putting Aquarium salt in his tank and gave him a couple of salt baths. I also tried some Jungle Fungus meds, but no one on here really seemed to like meds over aquarium salt, so I stopped the meds and kept on with the salt.
After around 2 weeks, his fin rot started clearing up, so I did a 50% water change and didn't add more salt, so I could slowly wean him off of it, since it's not good to keep them on it. Well, the day after I did this, he had a new rip in his fins. (I had already removed the stupid plastic plant that did it the first time.) So back on the salt he went, and I swapped his new not sharp at all plastic plant for a not-sharp-anywhere, silk plant, and looked over his whole tank and found no sharp spots.
After a few more weeks of salt, I planned on weaning him off again, but that morning I found another rip in his fins! (all in different places each time, and they were more like holes in the center of the fin, not bites on the edges.)
So he's been on AQ salt for around 4 months now, because 4 or 5 times now he's done this. Finally, yesterday, I did a 50% weekly water change and didn't add more salt, because i'm sure it'll just give me more problems. : ( His latest rip was a small hole about two days ago in his (dorsal?) fin on his back, as I predicted, overnight it ripped all the way to the edge of his fin and split his fin in two. (will try to get pics soon.)

There is NOTHING left in his tank for him to get caught on! and I don't *think* he's biting his tail. He never has before and i've owned him for at least a year and a half now! Please! Any help, advice, ANYTHING you guys can give me would be so greatly appreciated! : (

Seuss
-Veilfin, in a 2.5 gal tank, 50-75% weekly water changes, conditioned well water (nothing's changed there,) has a TOM internal mini filter and a tetra 2-15 heater. Water stays at 75-80* F. Gets mostly flakes, (only in the AM,) but I have started giving him Pellets about 2 weeks ago. 1-2 a day, a couple days a week for variety. no flakes on pellet days, and they are soaked in tank water first.
Oh, and the fin rot is completely gone.
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #2 
smallvle

I've been trying to get pics, but my camera is a worthless piece of garbage, adn the ones I took on my DS weren't clear enough to see anything. : (
Old 05-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #3 
Maryrox247

Hm. Sounds like you've got a case of pinholes...that turn into rips. Now im not an exoert on this but i think the best thing to do right now is observe his behavior a bit. And a little offtopic suggestion, this is just me but i feed my bettas 3-4 pellets each and you dont have to soak them in tank water ( but hif he likes it go ahead:D) and flakes ( even ones for bettas!) are not as nutritious for bettas as pellets so maybe switch to just pellets? Well good luck and i hope things get better for you and your betta!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #4 
smallvle

Now if only I could find where he's getting these pinholes from. : ( So frustrating. I tried (when I first got Seuss,) to feed him pellets, but didn't realize you were supposed to soak them (though it seems some fish do fine,) and I tried feeding Seuss dry pellets, and he would grab it then spit it out 3 or 4 times then give up, swim away and not eat till a day or so later. Then I discoverd you can soak them and he eats them just fine. : ) I've just been feeding them to him little by little to see how he does with them; plus, when i'm rushed in the morning, it's easier to toss 4 or 5 flakes in there and have him gobble them up than to soak pellets and put them in one at a time and watch as he swims laps around his tank with a pellet sticking out of his mouth till he eats it. : ) I think he makes it into a game almost. : )
Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #5 
smallvle

I don't know if this would stress him out more or help, but there is a good chance I might be getting a second job for the summer, and would like to upgrade to a 5 gal (don't really have much room for anything larger, nor the want to care for a 10 gal or something larger.) But I would love to be able to get Seuss a larger tank, learn to cycle it, and get him some live plants and a couple of tank mates. *Eventually.*

Opinions? Would this stress him out more? Help him to have someone to keep him company? Help to have more space to explore? When I first moved him from his old 1 gal to his 2.5 gal, he was so happy! Would live plant(s) help any? Would cycling help? (On that topic, if cycling doesn't lessen the need for water changes, why is it better than not cycling?) Help please! I don't know how to help Seuss, and i'm worried he's going to destroy his fins completely!