Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #1 
Nikita

Unhappy New Betta

Hi i have owned two betta before but i didn't know they needed better care, i got Shere Khan my new red Crown tail, i acctually din't know there were other types of betta than the veil tails, i've been doing some reading here though, and i have questions. i have a bowl that is one gallon and my fish seems happy, he made a bubble nest yesterday, so should i kick my little brother's gold fish out of my ten gallon tank i used to use for my snake's feeder fish, or keep using my little brothers bowl? i don't have much money so where can i get a heater for cheep? and same goes for a filter. also do i need a light? and i have one of those rock/sponge thingies that make tiny bubbles rise from it ( it's kinda shaped like a stick and has suction cups to sick it on the sid of the tank) should i put it in with him? and i tryd to feed him the little pebble food, the stuff that comes in balls? but he wouldn't eat so i feed him blood worms is that bad? i want to make him really happy now that i have him, and lastly if i do put him in the ten gallon tank would it be best if i divide the tank and get another Betta? maybe a female? please tell me all i need to know, i'm an animal lover in general so i don't want to commit betta abuse! and he is really tiny like half the size of my sister's betta, her betta's tail has kinks in it any advice?
Nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #2 
SummerOj

the goldfish will need the bigger tank.
Your betta should be fine in the 1 gallon but you might wanna save up for a bigger tank eventually. Kritter Keepers are aweome and only about 15 bucks. Keep offering him those pellets, he'll eat them eventually. And blood worms are used for a few times a week meal.
If the water is cold you need a heater. At wal mart they are like 12 bucks.
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #3 
Nikita

i also have a 15 gallon tank that used to be used for my snake but would that be too big for one fish? what kind of equipment would i need for it? and how would i clean it? it's huge! is he fine with blood orms till i get him pellets again?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #4 
Tragedy

I suggest putting the gold fish in the 15 gallon, then the Betta in the 10. Do you realize the gold fish will eventually need about 30 gallons, if not more?

15 would be too large for a Betta, yes. Well, not too large per say, but I wouldn't put him in a tank that big.

You can split the 10 gallon into two, and have TWO bettas then ;)

Also look at local fish stores for heaters, I got mine for 9 dollars and it heats 10-15 gallons.

You should really get him pellets ASAP. You can try flakes, too.
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #5 
SummerOj

Yes, definatly put the goldfish in the bigger tank!
With a 10 gallon tank I would split it in half. Or you could make a community tank. its up to you!
Cleaning is a different matter xD I really forget what the thing used for it is....but its like a hose that lets you put it in a sink to get water out.
as for the food, he needs to be fed that with blood worms only has a treat. I feed mine blood worms twice a week, and skip a day of feeding (to clean their digestive systems out) and other the rest of the week I feed them twice a day with pellets.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #6 
Nikita

i do have a syphon hose thingie, i think i'm gonna force my brother to let me take care of his fish he NEVER cleans the water, and the last time he changed the water it still had a gunky tinge to it, are plants hard to take care of? and would it be better to put a male or female in with him? divided of course.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #7 
SummerOj

My sister is like that too. She has 2 goldfish and two frogs. The goldfish are being moved to a 29 gallon. And guess who's going to end up having to clean it? >.>
Live plants shouldnt be too hard to care for. I heard theyre fun to do. Ive never grew one.
And its up to you whether you want it to be a girl and boy betta next to him. Get one that catches your eye. Boy bettas are pretty and girls are pretty friendly. At least mine is.
5 gallons for each fish is nice!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #8 
Nikita

for now i'll make the switch to the ten gallon tank and put Shark Bait (the gold fish) into the bigger tank,is one hide spot ok for now? and should i keep the bubble maker for my betta?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #9 
SummerOj

the goldfish should be fine for now with one hidey spot. Be careful about the bubble maker, some bettas like bubbles but others dont.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #10 
Nikita

lol acctually right now he has no hidey spot, i was asking about my betta, but i guess i should try to find something that big guy can hide in too ^-^.