Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #1 
Fieldz

Post My Aquarium questions

Hey guys. I bought my fish, Oscar, a nice 6 Gal aquarium, but I only put 5 Gal on it because 6 would be too tall for him. It has no filters. How often should I change the water of the aquarium? The guy of the petshop said once a week 30% and every 2 months 100%. Last question is: imagine it has 5 Gal of water = 15 liters, I remove 2 Gal= 6 liters to clean it and put 2 more. Do I have to put 15 drops of dechlorinator ( 1 drop per liter or 3 by gal ) or just 6 drops? I am feeding him 4 pellets a day ( 1 in the morning, 2 at lunch and 1 at dinner) and he is doing really well.

Thanks alot guys!

Last edited by Fieldz; 09-11-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #2 
Myates

I would do 1 50% water only, 1 50% substrate cleaning per week with 100% once a month at the least.
Anytime you add in water when changing, always put the full amount in regardless how much water you are adding. So when doing the 50%, add in the full amount, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #3 
Fieldz

Ok, thats all I wanted to know. Thanks :D
Old 09-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #4 
tf1265

I'm actually inclined to agree more with the pet store guy. 6 gallons is a lot of space for a single betta, I would do smaller water changes more frequently (meaning, more than 1x weekly), and then 100% with a gravel clean once a month. I have 2 female bettas in a divided 5 gallon, I do 20% water changes every other day (larger on Mondays- it's an office tank so they are on their own Sat and Sun) and once a month a full change with gravel clean (bring in my gravel vaccuum from home). They seem to be doing very well, they've been on this schedule for about 4 months. In my opinion, pet store guy did definitely have you doing too few water changes, but I don't think it's necessary with 1 betta if you're only feeding him a few pellets at a time to clean the gravel weekly.

I think you could do 20-30% water changes twice a week, and monthly gravel clean.

Within reason, it's always better safe than sorry with the water conditioner. Treat for the full 5 gallons anytime you do a water change, the extra conditioner won't damage the water quality or fish but not enough definitely could.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #5 
Fieldz

Thank you both so much. This really helped me.