Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #1 
bettatoon

Unhappy white splotch appear on his top fin

hello, i have a blue crountail betta and something appear on his top fin, is a white stuff and i can see it over his head too. what it can be and what can i do? why hi got it?thank, Name:  beta fish 007.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  beta fish 003.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  24.5 KB

Name:  beta fish 004.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  beta fish 005.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  beta fish 017.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  42.6 KB
bettatoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #2 
bettatoon

well, i took him to PETCO and they toll me that hi has DROPSY and is nothing that i can do for him, i'm i'm so sad, but i just don't know what to do, it's not a good thing hire this but, well thanks anyways.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #3 
DragonFish

...I'm not seeing Dropsy here. That is when, if you look at him from the top, his scales stick out like a pinecone, and that I do not see in the pictures. However, he is definitely bloated....how much are you feeding him and how often? Fast him for a little while and then snag some frozen Daphnia and feed him a little of that for the bloating.

The white splotch almost looks like his coloring...though its really hard to tell. How long did it take to appear? Was it gradual or was it just suddenly that white color over night? Does it appear fuzzy or cottony-like? Have you noticed his fin pulling apart or getting smaller? How is he behaving?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I agree with Dragon. He just looks overfed, not pineconed. Here's a closeup of what dropsy does to a betta's scales. It's hard to tell in the pics. Does he look like the picture?

vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #5 
bettatoon

hello, thanks for replay, mm answering to "dragon fish" my crountail its very active ryt now, and the splotch took altmos 3 days to cover the whole fin in white, and the dot on his head not, its not fuzzy, but its white and getting biger,and yes his fin is getting smaller.
to "vaygirl" no, hi does not look like the picture.
what is curious is that his fin is turnign pink, i can see a light pink color on his fin but if you check my last picture u can see that it covered part of his body too.(kind of pink stuff)
thanks again guys, ill keep you guy in toch. thanks .
Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Hmm....I'm not the best at diagnosing, you should wait for someone more experience to answer before you do anything, but it seems to me like a very advanced form of finrot or some sort of other bacterial infection...or possibly both. I don't have a ton of experience with sick fish however...

The best medications I know of recommended for either-or are Maracyn 1+Maracyn 2 or Tetracycline(SP?). Though again, wait for someone else more experienced to comment....I know most know a LOT more then me in this area ^^;
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #7 
truthequalslies

i would definately give him a salt bath and change his tank water every day aquarium salt dose wonders
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #8 
bettatoon

hello, guys thanks for replying.
so,to truthequalslies mm, i have him in a 10 gallon tank, and i'm in Nevada so tyt now it's snowing so. do i need to do full water change and hi has a roomate, another male, same tank, if i take him (blue)back to his little plastic bowl, will i be able to keep the temperature to 76? thanks.
please write be back? have a good one.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #9 
flying fish

Location: On the tree with the Rabid Chipmunk in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
Male bettas should NOT be kept In the same tank, that could spell injury for one or boh of them, maybe even death.
I think you should put him in his old bowl keep his water warm and give him some TLC.
:)
flying fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #10 
truthequalslies

I would move himto the bowl and change all of the water and clean everything with hot water he might pass what he has to the other betta dependig on whathe may have and keep his water around 80 degrees since he is sick
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue, lucas, red, rojo, tierno