Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #11 
bettatoon

ok, thanks truthequalslies have a good one,
hello flying fish , mm i have them with a divider and i just change the clear divider with a dark divider so they can't see each other, i think that helps.
so if i move him to his small bowl can i use warm tap water,+ aquarium salt,water conditioner?
thanks, please write me back, thanks guys,
bettatoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #12 
JamieTron

When administering a salt bath it should be in a separate container with clean treated water. The water should be the same temperature as his tank water to prevent temperature shock. I would do 1 to 2 five minute salt baths a day for a few days, give him a break every few days from the baths. The aquarium salt will tell you one tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons. So you will have to calculate how much salt you need for your specific bath container.

The reason I say salt baths instead of adding the salt right to the tank is because bettas are freshwater fish as you know. Keeping them in salted water all of the time will eventually effect their body functions, this will make it hard for them to regulate ions and fluids within their body. Osmoregulation it is called. Salt baths are easier on their bodies then being in constant salt.

If the salt baths do not appear to help after a awhile I would look into medications. You should research columnaris and see if that could be what your white spot is, sometimes it's fuzzy sometimes not...since it is not fuzzy I wouldn't say it is fungus, but it's hard to tell.

some common signs of columnaris are: it may or may not have a cottony appearance depending on how far along it is

White spots on mouth, edges of scales, and fins
Cottony growth that eats away at the mouth
Fins disintegrate beginning at the edges
'Saddleback' lesion near the dorsal fin <---- this is the symptom that concerns me, as that is where your white spot is
Fungus often invades the affected skin

here is some more in depth info http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/di...columnaris.htm

Last edited by JamieTron; 02-04-2010 at 10:39 PM.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #13 
FuulieQ

I was thinking this looks like columnaris, too. That's worrying, but from what I hear it can be cured with anitbiotics, salt and TLC.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #14 
bettatoon

THANKS all of you guys for replayin this is a Very valuable information for us. well this is my report:
today, his dorsal fin is going back to his normal color, slowly, the white patch on top of his head is slowly going back to blue,
so fisth it was white then turned to ligth pink then stared with a baby blue, so i think is getting better and better,
thanks again guys, so its, working: clean treated water. salt water, and affection tons of affection.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #15 
JamieTron

that's great to hear !!! great job!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #16 
bettatoon

ok, today my blue crowntail (lucas) did scare me, i did the water change this morning, so i move him fron his tank to a quarter bowl, wen i come back he was out of the bowl, he was on the table, so i put him back to the bowl, (he was on the table for one minute) after that I found my Betta floating on his side, struggling to swim around, then he just sunk, and slowly turn over his belly.
what do you tink it is? thanks.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #17 
truthequalslies

he's probably just shocked by his near death experience i know i would be
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #18 
JamieTron

It could be shock or he may have damaged his swim bladder in the process of jumping out of his tank.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #19 
bettatoon

hi,
my report: last nigth i bought a breeder and i put the blue betta in there, and i put the breeder in to the tank, becouse i coudn't keep his water warm in his lettle bowl, and he coudn't move too.
Name:  DSC00293[1].jpg
Views: 80
Size:  52.2 KB
so i put him back in his tank and he is doing a little better today, he moves a little but hi moves, and i just gave him a pice of flake (bettamin tropical medley) and he ate it.
i think, i think, becouse he is not alone anymore in the tank, he is doing better.
what do you think? thanks. please replay. have a good one.
(he still bloated do)

Last edited by bettatoon; 02-07-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #20 
truthequalslies

you may have to fast him or feed him daphnia till the bloating goes down
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue, lucas, red, rojo, tierno