Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #1 
JamieTron

First time planning a spawn. Any Suggestions?

OKay soooo I have a pair picked out, since this is my first spawning I picked two that were most interested in each other, I picked my yellow male crowntail and my blue and red veil tail. JD had the biggest nest and she gets bars by even seeing a male so I thought I would try theses two :) They started their conditioning 3 days ago. I plan to condition them for a week or 2

Has anyone bred a yellow and a blue before? what did you find :)

Anyways I have a 5 gallon tank, with a 25 watt submersible heater, and a box filter with a valve I can adjust the bubbles with. I have many plants I can add along with a castle with a cave to also hide in. I was planning on cutting a plastic cup in half for the bubble nest.

I didn't get a top with the tank it was only 10 dollars because it was just the tank I have bought saran wrap for the top and a desk lamp for light.

So for feeding I was planning on feeding infusia the first week and then moving up to brine shrimp after that. Does this sound okay for the fry? I know they don't start eating until their yolk sac is absorbed so that was when I was going to introduce infusia. I heard that brine shrimp are a little too big for the first week or so, is this true?

I wanted to ask opinions of my plan. I have been researching breeding bettas since last summer, I just was not ready to do it until now. I want to make sure my info is correct and if people have any other suggestions for things I may be missing.

Thanks for your time guys :D

Jamie
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #2 
JamieTron

oh yes I forgot I had a question about saprolegnia prevention. For the fish we raised at school we used formulin, but I have no experience with medications for aquarium fungus prevention on eggs. Now I have read about many:

jungle fungus
methylene blue
maroxy

Which one would be fry safe? I don't want fungal outbreaks in my tank if they can be prevented.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieTron View Post
oh yes I forgot I had a question about saprolegnia prevention. For the fish we raised at school we used formulin, but I have no experience with medications for aquarium fungus prevention on eggs. Now I have read about many:

jungle fungus
methylene blue
maroxy

Which one would be fry safe? I don't want fungal outbreaks in my tank if they can be prevented.
I use the Atison Betta Spa which prevents most diseases including fungus. Plus it gets your fish to spawn.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Betta Spa helps to prevent diseases?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #5 
JamieTron

Okay progress so far: JD made a nice bubble nest in his own tank but has let it go away, he seems to pay attention to it again though. Hugs is getting fatter with eggs and her breeding bars are more prominent. I have her in a bowl beside his normal tank. He shows off a lot for her. She seems to respond well. I think I will keep conditioning them further before I start to set up the breeding tank. I am practicing growing infusia now :) and I am almost ready to set up my brine shrimp cultures. I want to find some more food types though, perhaps some sort of microworms as well if I can. I don't want to feed them all brine shrimp only after the infusia.

I am planning on buying a fungus preventive this weekend. I guess I'll just buy which ever one is available. I also decided I want to add some real plants for the breeding tank as well with the silk ones. I decided that well because it seems nicer and it'll help use up my excess nutrients to feed the plants rather than algae.

QUESTION: I was thinking about setting up a small drip feeder for when I feed them infusia, has anyone tried this before? I have done it with my baby shellfish and it worked great when the rate of feeding is set slow. It gives them constant feed at low concentrations to prevent wastes. BUT would this work with betta fry? What do you think??
Old 02-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #6 
JamieTron

I just bought Maroxy for the fungus, and all of my emergency meds...