Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #1 
Jammers

Easiest way to divide a tank?

Woo hoo got a 5.5 gallon tank for my Betta. Now I am getting the crazy idea of dividing the tank so I can have 2. What are some home made ideas to make the divider? Will they be able to see each other through the divider and what kind of problem will it cause?
Jammers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #2 
Noko

I am not sure if a 5.5 is a big enough tank to divide, but I think it is. I recently made some dividers that I was recommended to make. They worked out sorta well. I'm not the biggest fan of them, and they took some effort to get in the tank right. I will post the link in a minute. All you really need are some report binders and some plastic mesh. The fish will be able to see each other, but it shouldn't cause any problems.

Here is the link:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

Last edited by Noko; 02-01-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #3 
doggyhog

A 5.5 gallon can be divided. Just make sure you keep up your Water changes..

I currently have three divided tanks and I use DIY dividers for ALL of them!! I have one store bought divider that came with a used tank I bought and I personally hate it. :P Not NEARLY as sturdy.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #4 
TigerLily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noko View Post
I am not sure if a 5.5 is a big enough tank to divide, but I think it is. I recently made some dividers that I was recommended to make. They worked out sorta well. I'm not the biggest fan of them, and they took some effort to get in the tank right. I will post the link in a minute. All you really need are some report binders and some plastic mesh. The fish will be able to see each other, but it shouldn't cause any problems.

Here is the link:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
The divider that I made using this guide turned out perfectly. As long as you're careful with your measurements and cutting, it should fit extremely well and be quite sturdy.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #5 
kuklachica

You could also anchor it in with aquarium safe sealant (obviously before you put your fish in and let it sit for at least 24 hours). Maybe a few drops on the bottom and some on the side in the back (so you don't see it in the front)?

I am going to do this soon... i came home today to one of my divided tanks and couldn't find one of my fish... sure enough, he some how (NO idea how) made it to the other side and was wedged in the corner behind some grass looking guilty as heck. "Mom, i swear i didn't mean to!!!" Thankfully that side was empty so he didn't get in any fights (thank GOD he didn't decide to jump to the other side!!).
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol! Bad fishy!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote