Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #1 
Wenlace19

Weird problem not sure what

Hey all. One of my betta fish who shares a tank with a divider with the other one in the past few days has been floating to the top of the tank when he ttys to swim down. He then lays on his side at the top of the water and doesn't really move that much. But I'm confused because at random times he can swim to the bottom perfectly but a little while later he's back at the top of the water again.

It's not like he's over fed as they both get 2 little pellet things a day morning and evening. But I tried not feeding him for a couple days and feeding him a cooked pea which didn't do anything. So now I'm wondering if he's just old and trying to die? Or what else is going on?

The other fish is perfectly fine. Water is around 80 and it's cleaned every 3 days.
Wenlace19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #2 
kelly528

How old is he?
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #3 
Wenlace19

I don't know to be honest. We went away for the weekend only to come back to the 2 betas on the table. I guess her mom got them from a friend who was getting rid of them and decided that we would like them.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #4 
Noko

My betta had the same problem. He however needed a warmer tank. I think the temperature in your tank is fine. How big is the tank they are in? Also, does he float back up to the top, or swim?
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #5 
Wenlace19

It's a 5g tank divided. And yea. He trys as hard as he can to swim to the bottom but one makes it like an inch under the water before he acts like a bobber and pops right back up no matter how hard he tries. Then h lasts on his side at the top of the water like head dead. But I go over and check on him and he starts swimming again.

But yea. He trys swimming down but floats back up even when he is still swimming down.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds to me like swimbladder disorder.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #7 
Betta Slave

I used to have a fish with a swim bladder disease. It went away after a few days, though...
Swim bladder disease can be caused by overfeeding, birth defects, or the betta got hurt somehow. Your betta could have just been born like this, I suppose.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #8 
Wenlace19

Is there any way to correct this? he was fine up until like a week ago, and since then ive been feeding him like once every 3 days or so, but there are times when he can swim to the bottom of the tank, but those moments dont last for long.

What should i do to correct this swim bladder infection? because he seems to be getting frustrated being stuck at the top of the tank.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #9 
Betta Slave

Hmmm.... well, if the peas don't work... maybe try a little bit of epsom salt. Just a little bit. (I'm sorry i don't know the correct measurements, but I haven't tried it.) It's worked for my friend when all else failed. She had her betta in a one gallon and she put in 1/2 teaspoon of epsom salt and it worked. It could possibly be a bacterial infection (I've known people who've had fish, and that was the cause of the disease) so... maybe try some Melafix? Bettafix remedy is also pretty useful. I hope this helps!
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would fast him for a few days then feed him daphnia for a few days after that.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote