Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #1 
xgoingdownx

Unhappy Odd white stuff

1. What is the size of your tank?
2.5 gal.

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
There were too many tests, I didn't know which to get! :(

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
freshwater

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
About 3 weeks

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
1 male betta- he's about 1.5-2 inches body, I don't know with fins included..maybe 3 inches? I've had him for around a month and a week or so

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
??

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?
I honestly don't know, I'm going home this weekend and I'm planning on bringing back my old thermometer [used in my old goldfish tank] and a small heater

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
No

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
Aqueon, the directions say to change once per month, and it's very small, so I'd say it's low flow.. he never seems to get pulled near it when he's around it

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?
no..like I said, I'm going home so I'll pick up a heater! [he was in a 1 gallon bowl before and I was afraid to get a heater before because they're hard to find for such a small "tank"]

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
No, it's very cold near our window and I was afraid he'd get even colder there.

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
I did a 100% water change about 5 days ago- I've been using Jungle Fungus remover because he had some tail/fin rot and he looked like he may have had a fungal infection [he's a little gray around the face- but he's naturally a blue-ish red color so I wasn't for sure]

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
I feed him twice a day, pellets in the morning [about 2-3 crushed] and flakes in the evening. On Fridays he gets bloodworms at night. [about 2-3]

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
In the mornings he's had some white-ish stuff around him like he had been swimming through a cobweb. It sort of surrounded him but would later come off during the day..I have had other fish so I thought maybe it was Ich and started putting some medication in there, but now I am unsure and haven't treated him further for it. Other than that, his fins are sometimes a little clamped [but since this is my first betta I don't know if they really are or that's just how they're supposed to look!] and he still has tail/fin rot. He sometimes settles at a bottom corner for a few minutes, but then goes swimming around the tank...he does this periodically throughout the day. [I know this is a possible sign that he's cold, too, though] He eats just fine, though, occaisionally he spits his food back out, but that's only when he takes bigger pieces of food.

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
Like I stated previously, I had been using Jungle Fungus remover because it looked like he may have a fungal infection and some tail/fin rot. Also I used "Ick Away" [by Wardley] because I suspected he may have ich, but I am unsure now...

I am new to bettas, but not new to fish in general. I have researched the types of diseases they can get and many other things, and I have never seen one that describes what I see on Admiral Finns in the mornings. He doesn't seem to be distressed, but I'm worried that the white stuff could be something I don't know about! I know his tank is not at optimal heat, so I will remedy this as soon as possible [in Richmond there is only one petstore and they didn't have small enough heaters]
Also, I am a little confused on what kind of water to put in his tank. I live in a dorm on campus, and I don't even want to drink the water there, so I've been buying "drinking water" by the gallon from Wal-Mart. It doesn't say that it has been distilled or pre-treated, and I always add Tetra Aqua Safe to the new water, just in case.
I am aware I need to get a ph tester, but are there any other water testing chemicals I need to get? I was confused by how many there were and was a bit intimidated in buying them.
I appreciate the help- any advice is welcome!! [and yes, that's Admiral Finns as my avatar]
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #2 
xgoingdownx

I also think that it may be body slime? I got some aquarium salt, a heater, and some Melafix. I'm probably going to use some of the Melafix when I get back on Sunday since it also treats tail/fin rot and I'll see how things look from there.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #3 
bettamama

You should maintain the heat of the water and add some salt, and see how he does for a day or so. I wouldn't medicate him until you know the actual problem. You can end up causing more harm when medicating fish with the wrong medication.

Ich will cause white dots all over his body like little grains of salt or sugar, I don't think that's like what you described.

Let us know if anything changes after you have the heat & salt maintained.

Hope everything is okay!
bettamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #4 
xgoingdownx

I'll do that, then. He does have some gray-ish dots on his head, but nowhere else.
How much aquarium salt would you recommend for a 2.5 gallon tank?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 PM   #5 
truthequalslies

it may just be culminaris form the description and aquarium salt usually heals that right up it also does great for fin rot i agree with bettamama nix all those other meds and just keep him warm and change all of his water atleast twice a week and just use aquarium salt
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #6 
xgoingdownx

Thank you so much for the help!! I'll be sure to get right on it when I get back to Richmond. I'll update if anything else happens. :)
Old 02-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #7 
xgoingdownx

Admiral Finns is doing much better, he's spending more time swimming around the tank and less time laying down at the bottom, all sad like! I just need to know when I should add more aquarium salt? Do I do this when I do full water changes or just half? I've got a filter running so I only do half ones about once a week..