Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #1 
PETERBILT

Thumbs up Meet freddie

I got Freddie about a week ago, we put him in a gallon size bowl and he was cold and did not like it at all. So I had read that some Bettas will get along with other fish so I thought I would give it a try. He LOVES his new home and friends.
Attached Images

PETERBILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #2 
Noko

What size tank is he in now? It looks sorta big, which is good! He looks sorta like my Alpha, but Freddie looks twice as bright and vibrant! He is very, very handsome.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #3 
PETERBILT

He is in a 20 gallon tank I have a catfish a sucker fish two Tetra angel looking fish and two orange groumious, not sure how you spell that. The picture really did not turn out that good, I am going to try with my digital camera instead of my cell phone camera. He is very happy now, he was miserable in that small bowl.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #4 
Noko

He looks happy! I would just watch out to make sure he doesn't pick on anyone, or someone picks on him. He should be ok though! I wish I had a 20 gallon tank to put some fishies in. All I have is a 15 gallon, and a 10 gallon. My dad has a larger tank (50-75 gallons I think) that he keeps three fish in (not even big fish). I would kill to have that tank -_-
Old 02-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #5 
PETERBILT

I have been watching him day and night. Both of the orange fish chase him with their feelers then he will turn around and chase them like they are playing. I have never seen him flair up at none of the others so I am hoping while I'm at work they are all ok. I would like to have a larger tank myself but we have no room.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #6 
Noko

I have never seen any betta act like that XD He must be quite the betta! I am sure he will be fine as long as there are a few places he can hide, just incase things get a little rough.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #7 
PETERBILT

I hear you, I have been really worried but he seems to be having a great time. Any ideas what to look for if something does go wrong
Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #8 
Noko

I would make sure he doesn't have any torn fins, or anything like that. I haven't really had bettas in tanks with other fish, so I wouldn't know too much about it. If he looks like someone nipped him, then I would watch him like a hawk. If it's bad (or even if it's just a little bit not-so-safe for him), I would try to get him out of that tank asap. Any sign of aggression, I would tank him out. You might need to buy him a large Kritter Keeper, or a large plastic container. They work really well as long as you have a heater, and the other needed thing for a betta. They are nice and cheap too! To be safe I would devote a few minutes just to watch all of your fish really closely just so you can detect any problems.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #9 
DragonFish

By Orange Gouramis, I assume to mean Honeys....? Are they a dark/burnt orange color?
Those are my favs, they stay small and are on the less aggressive side, more curious then anything IME.

Your betta sounds pretty chill and so long as there are a LOT of plants/hiding spots you may be OK......but keep a close eye out for any aggression from either party. Things can go alright for a while and then suddenly turn violent, especially if one of the Gouramis is male. Watch for excessive chasing, nipped or ripped fins, flaring from the betta, and signs of stress like constant hiding, refusing to eat, and color loss.

A little chasing is natural I'd think, but if they start stalking one another around the tank and incessantly chasing from one end of the tank to the other or you notice any of the other signs I listed above then remove the betta ASAP and get him his own tank, like Noko said. ;)

Lovely little guy BTW, reminds me of my first betta <3
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #10 
PETERBILT

Thanks I will do that. I will have to let you know how things go. I'm hoping all will stay well because right now he is having a great time. Thanks again for you input.