Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #1 
gcondit

Question 1.5 gal tank--can *any* fish go in it???

having been properly shamed, in person (by a cutie no less!?!), and now by reading posts on this wonderful site i've ordered a much larger tank. shall be here soon and am doing water changes daily until then...so yeah...dont wanna keep hearing 'bout it...k?

please tell me there are *some* types of fish i can use this 1.5 gal 'tank' for though!?!

any suggestions or does the goofy pet store that talked me into it win this round?

Last edited by gcondit; 03-11-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added few words for more detail...
gcondit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

the only thing i would try is a shrimp tank.lots of plants and small regular water changes.it would make an ok quarantine tank for your new fish.daily water changes though.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #3 
rsskylight04

Betta.
rsskylight04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oooh an NPT shrimp tank would be awesome! But yeah, you could totally have a Betta in there as long as you take care of it properly ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If you get a properly sized (and adjustable) heater a betta will be happy in there. Shrimp are great too. Other then that there isn't much else...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #6 
Bluewind

Do shrimp or snails count as fish? lol XD

In a small tank such as this, plants are essential to keep ammonia spikes in check. Get familiar with the different types and get something floating (for shade or bedding) and something either rooted that's a stem feeder or a marimo ball. Ferts are cheep and will last a long time, but you must be careful as you will need to use VERY little. Remember to also have adequate hiding places and substrate. No rough gravel, pfs, or clown puke.

Snails and/or shrimp would do fine in a 1.5 gal tank. Bettas are a gray area here. Some say the minimum size tank for them is 2.5gal while others say 5gal is best. I normally say 3 should be the lowest you should go.

However, their bio load is low, so as long as you are willing to put in some extra work, you could get a betta. You need to consider their bio load, making sure you keep the hormones they release in the water in check with lots of pwc (so they don't end up stunted), their activity level, and how they should be properly feed.

CT will normally have more spunk (thus needing more room) while VT are usually more laid back. I couldn't comment on the other types as I don't remember, but I would think a HM would be a bad idea because their tail would take up so much space. A giant would be a bad fit too for obvious reasons.

There will be plenty of partial water changes. I would say 3 50% pwc a week should do it (maybe more in the very beginning).

Depending on size, he/she will eat 1-5 Omega One Betta Buffet pelletts a day. Keep an eye on weight as too fat or too skinny is not good on them. Plus, too fat means more poop which means more ammonia in a VERY small space. Speaking of poop, turkey basters make the best vacumes for small tanks.

And a heater is essential unless you live somewhere where his water will naturally stay within his ideal limits (what does his thermometer say?). If you can't get an adjustable one that will fit, get a small preset one with a lot of good reviews. After all, something is better than nothing at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #7 
gcondit

@sandybottom

first off, great username ;)

shrimp tank eh? hmmm that sounds fun and i never would have thought of it. thank you for the idea!

@rsskylight04

really dude? hardy har…there's always one

@lilnaugrim,@MattsBettas

so you two are on the 'small is ok just be diligent' side of this debate…noted, and thank you both. i am too new to comment and thus have an abundance of caution…but am taking this all in

@Bluewind

dude…you totally rocked biology class hu? thank you for your detailed and thoughtful response, from a mobile device no less. i'm now a bit smarter thanks to you, so I thank you for taking the time to educate me…i will refer back to your post in the future no doubt!

love this community…yes even you rsskylight04

Last edited by gcondit; 03-12-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add a facepalm for rsskylight04
gcondit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #8 
sponge1234

Endlers maybe?
sponge1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #9 
Lenimph

Other then a betta? I probably think you could get away with a guppy but they're social fish and prefer groups.

Endlers possibly... maybe.

My suggestion is to do a nano planted shrimp tank however.

Last edited by Lenimph; 03-12-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Lenimph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I probably wouldn't do Endler's or Guppies because they have a much higher bio-load than Bettas so that would mean more work for the keeper unless it was a Naturally Planted tank and even then, I would just stick with shrimp really and a snail or something. If it's not a planted tank, a Betta would do just fine for a single fish in the tank
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote