Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #11 
Lenimph

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I probably wouldn't do Endler's or Guppies because they have a much higher bio-load than Bettas so that would mean more work for the keeper unless it was a Naturally Planted tank and even then, I would just stick with shrimp really and a snail or something. If it's not a planted tank, a Betta would do just fine for a single fish in the tank
Really they have more bioload then bettas? Wow I would have never guessed because I kept like almost 20 of them (babies I couldn't give away) in a 15 gal for 2 years.

Then again for all I know they could have been dying and repopulating their army

Never again.
Lenimph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenimph View Post
Really they have more bioload then bettas? Wow I would have never guessed because I kept like almost 20 of them (babies I couldn't give away) in a 15 gal for 2 years.

Then again for all I know they could have been dying and repopulating their army

Never again.
lol, well a 15 gallon is quite different from a 1.5 gallon! They are just little poop monsters really, I'm not entirely sure if they're feces are more potent in ammonia or just because they poop more often than Bettas do *shrug* either way, they're still messier and I wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 3 gallon if they were there permanently or for an extended period of time is all. Again, unless it was a naturally planted tank in which case the system would basically take care of itself for the most part
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #13 
Sathori

I have a betta in my 1.5 gallon tank. It's filtered and heated, so he's a happy little fish. I just make sure to do regular water changes and take out his poop, between water changes, with a turkey baster :P
He seems to get stressed out in anything bigger than his 1.5 gallon. He seemed happy at first in his 3 gallon, but then started tail biting and shredding his fins. When I put him back into his 1.5 gallon, he was happy again... Go figure. All my other boys like being in 3+ gallon bowls.
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #14 
Bluewind

Thank you GC and I tottally did. Got a 114 in college algebra too back in college because the teacher couldn't set the curb by me. I kept getting everything on the homework, tests, and bonus questions right save for one test. I'm a proud nerd, my fav big bang character is Sheldon, I love falling down internet rabbit holes, and I know waaaaay more about Doctor Who than most people think is normal

And I'm so happy I could help. Typing on my android takes forever, but I love to share my knowledge, so I can't complain. I will keep an eye on the thread to see if you ever need more help. I'm pretty well researched in the 10gal or less category.

By the way, do you know your pH and hardness? Bettas need soft to slightly hard water and can adapt when need be, but snails HAVE to have water that won't erode their shells.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #15 
rsskylight04

@rsskylight04

[font=Calibri]really dude? hardy har…there's always one

love this community…yes even you rsskylight04[/quote]

Sorry about that one word post, I got interupted and just pressed send.
Didn't mean to be short and stupid!
rsskylight04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #16 
gcondit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsskylight04 View Post
Sorry about that one word post, I got interupted and just pressed send.
well the life of an evil genius is a busy one, no doubt

its cool, i was 20 min late to a staff meeting today (that i lead ) due to "having to proof some lines of code..."

truth is, i was browsing threads on here...

so that you can pull yourself a way is all good
gcondit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #17 
gcondit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
By the way, do you know your pH and hardness?

nope, which i know is a around here...
will get to the pet store hopefully saturday to buy a kit

oh, and before i post a 'bought the wrong kit cuz i didn't read' thread...why not just ask now...what should i be looking for in a kit anyway?

thanks again Bluewind...you're in my cool book

Last edited by gcondit; 03-12-2014 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo...
gcondit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #18 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I actually find my endlers quite clean, and seriouslyfish does too (read under "maintenance"). The reason I wouldn't suggest them is because they are quite active little guys and use the entire tank.

The reason bettas can be kept in small tanks is because they both have a low bioload and aren't too active.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 03-12-2014 at 07:22 PM.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Interesting to know Matt, are guppies under the same general rule or are they perhaps not so clean as they are generally larger than Endlers? I'm sure I can just look it up myself but I'm lazy lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #20 
LadyVictorian

do cherry shrimp, they are beautiful in a npt and very fun to watch. A 1.5 gallon tank is just fine to build your own macro shrimp world. Besides that red against green plants...it's like Christmas.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote