Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #1 
gahcrazy

Question Devil in my tank

Hi everyone! Since i have your attention iwas wondering what you might concider to b 2 much aggression between females in the same tank? TNKs
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some nipping and chasing is normal but if it gets violent where there are open wounds and pieces of fins torn off then I'd say that its time to separate the troublemakers.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #3 
gahcrazy

tknks dq. trying to decide if i want 2 buy 3 more girls this week and put them all togeather. should i or shouldn't i?
Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #4 
Jupiter

How big is your tank, and how many females do you already have in it?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #5 
gahcrazy

Jup I'm glad you asked that question! My tank is 29 gallons. 3 little girls in it. well, was three little girls! I can't beleive this stuff!!! I had 1 male (my wifes ) it was given to her for mothers day from a friend. somehow i wind up taking care of him. After 1 or 2 months i decided to get another male, after all 1 fish on the shelf didn't seem right. Then three months ago i somehow inherited 2 males and thinking it was a good ideal i bought my first female (Jewel) to see how thw boys would react. Then i got this bright ideal to buy two more females and seperated thom into this 29 gallon. Then today i decided that sometime this week i was going to get 3 but no less than 2 and start one of those sorities tanks. All i know for sure is that i picked out 3 today at petco but as i was putting one i had set to the side back on the shelf, this 4th one looked at me and the three cups i had in my hand as if to say " your not going to put me back are you?" so now I have 1 29 gallon tank with 7 girls floating around in thier cups FLARING each other down and 4 males in thier own 1 gallon tanks..
How dose this happen? is it voodoo? or Betta-doo ? i never thought it would happen to me... But to answer your question, the tank is 29 gallons with 3 girls at the time you posted..
Old 01-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #6 
Jupiter

Lol! I know how you feel...but yeah, more girls will be fine. Good news, you have room for tons of girls! ;)
Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #7 
gahcrazy

Smile

Sororities sure are fun too watch! Got all seven girls in the tank last night and it sure dose make watching the tank a lot more interesting. It's kind of funny you know? the smallest girl, she seems to have a fairly high place in the pecking order! For the time being anyhow. Thats the one i was going to put back at the store. Even the leader runs from her now and then! Theres only one with any stress marks and she seems to be holding her own for the time being. Strange thing was that one of the girls showed signs of being ready to mate! had the stripe and everything and she just stayed one the bottom most of the night. shes back out fighting today. the most fun is when feeding time comes it's like one of those movies with a school of sharks attacking someone! sorry about the rembling.. betta keeping just took on a whole new twist.. p.s. my devil fish is the one ruling the tank right now

Last edited by gahcrazy; 01-30-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #8 
Jupiter

Lol, the feeding part is so true! Even my sweetest girls go crazy during feeding time. :P
Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #9 
gahcrazy

I feel like i'm living in the city of Rome during the time of gladiators! (sorry , i'm not the best speller) I had to divide my tank and lower the water level to stop the MADDNESS. Everyone says that if you have 1 thats a problem to remover her. I had or perhaps have 3 or that are out of thier minds! Anyhow the chasing and stuff stopped after doing this to the tank. ( i noticed that if there is empty area, mostly around the top, then fighting would take place. feeding became a WWE bloodbath.) I put in a few more plants a while ago and i'll just have to wait and see when the sun comes up if they are going to live together or not. I hope it works out, it's fun to watch them together. Of course now i need to fiure out wath to do with the rest of the tank thats empty!?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #10 
Kitch3ntools

XD i love watching the girls all swarm to the area where i drop the pellets in lol they go nuts! my boys tanks are now closer to the girls tank and even the boys go crazy like "OMG FOOOOOOOD" where b4 they were like "oo food thnx food lady" sororitys are just so much fun! i hope your girls work out for ya, i know it took about 2 weeks for my girls to finally relax and get their pecking order all set up.
Kitch3ntools is offline   Reply With Quote