Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

That is a good idea to contact housing. That way, you are clear on the rules. You don't want to get in trouble.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 AM   #12 
2brown347

Hopefully multiple aquariums are allowed, it'd be easier than finding a loop hole in the system I was reading some other schools rules to see what the norm is, it seems to be a tank under 10; but it ranges from nothing to up to five 20 gallon tanks (thats more than most appartments would allow.)
2brown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #13 
1fish2fish

IME Its probably better if you get the 10 gal and at least divide it 3 ways... that way you save space and electricity.. they CAs are going to be less cool about having 6 tanks as opposed to having 3 little and one big (or however you divide it).

How are your dorms set up? Mine is an apartment style so we have a full kitchen and living room as well as 4 bedrooms (private) and two full baths. This way I can put tanks in the living room and my bed room and get away with more tanks because the CA doesn't know who owns the living room tanks.... of course your roommates need to be cool with you putting tanks in the LR
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #14 
2brown347

It's kinda hard to explain but I'll do my best. Granted we get the building and room requested it's one long room with two lofted beds, then a open area for whatever you want with a sink and some have a bathroom. I'm rooming with one of my good friends so I wouldn't have to worry about a mad room-mate.

l ---------------:-------- -l
l ---------------:--------- l
l ---------------:--------- l

Thats the best I can do for a floor plan with just keyboard
Old 02-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

hmm yours sounds like a more traditional dorm. I would try to have divided tanks. A few divided tanks versus 6 small tanks is going to look like less fish... of course if your housing doesn't care how many fish there are you won't have a problem
Old 02-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #16 
veganchick

hopefully you can take all of your fish!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #17 
Eolith

Wow, I've never had such extensive debates as far as the aquariums in my dorm. Our official rules state that the only pets we can have are tropical fish, but there's no specifications on the number or size of aquariums. Thus I have two 5 gallons and a 10 gallon tank. My RA has never been inside my room though, so it doesn't really seem to be a problem.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #18 
1fish2fish

We have periodic room inspections "health and saftey inspections" they call it. They actually failed my roommate because she had too many posters on the wall. Some schools are very lenient.. others really strict.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #19 
2brown347

So I got a reply from the school and they said there is no limit to how many as long as they are under 10 gallon (they have the rule so people don't keep big fish)

So now plans have changed slightly and this will become more of a log for a custom built stand I'll make for them so they don't take up a lot of space. I'll probably decide what it looks and start working on it this weekend.

Anyone know what plants would be go in a Betta biotope? I think I'm gonna do semi-biotopes, since there isn't really a true biotope for common bettas.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #20 
2brown347

sorry for the double post but I'm updating.

I talked to the school and my room-mate and have decided on 4-2.5 gallons, 3- 5 gallons and one 10 gallon. I'm gonna make a stand that holds all the tanks (rough drawing below) where the tanks will sit with the ends facing forward. It's gonna be kind of spendy once everything is said and done, but I got lots of time. I'm gonna start building the stand/shelves tmrw and will post pics of my progress.

If anyone knows any good sites to order tanks or equipment really cheap I'd like to know. Rough estimates put the whole thing around $400 and any way to lower that sounds great.