Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #1 
WendyKL

Question Frozen foods - another question

I have been giving my "regular" size bettas four pellets a day - my big guy sometimes gets 5 pellets a day. Sometimes I'll change it up a bit - I'll subtract one pellet and put in a freeze dried blood worm in its place. Now that I'm introducing frozen foods - how do I make sure I'm still giving the proper amount per feeding? - when I do a feeding of frozen food - obviously, I don't do any pellets or freeze dried foods at that time. I'm just not clear on how the portion of frozen food equates to a portion of pelleted food. I can't believe how excited the fish get with the frozen foods! Again - thanks to all the suggestions on how to feed the frozen food - much appreciated. BTW - I do fast all of my fish once a week.

Wendy KL

Last edited by WendyKL; 03-12-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: need to add something
WendyKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #2 
ABETTAVOICE

Start with a frozen piece about the size of a half pea, let thaw and take little tiny portions that equal the size of bettas eyeball or slightly more and feed. If any thawed amount remains, toss it out. Never refreeze. Hope this might help.
ABETTAVOICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #3 
WendyKL

Sounds like a good plan - again - thank you so much!

Wendy KL
WendyKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #4 
ABETTAVOICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyKL View Post
Sounds like a good plan - again - thank you so much!

Wendy KL
You're so very welcome. I found the Daphnia to be a bit of a mess, and my bettas had a hard time seeing it. A lot scattered all over the bottom of the tank. I decided to forgo feeding the Daphnia anymore, but you can experiment with a few of the frozen choices and see what works best.
ABETTAVOICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #5 
Cody27

We gave our betta a small piece of frozen bloodworm in the AM as a replacement for his Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets, to try a change on his diet, but he'd rather have the pellets as his main meal and the bloodworm as a once-in-a-while snack. He loves the frozen bloodworm, that thaws quite instantly once it's in the water, but doesn't like frozen brine shrimp that much (if at all). Our Ghost Shrimp don't like Algae wafers. I dropped a piece into the tank the other day and ended up sucking it off of the bottom w/a baster. But, the shrimp do like the frozen brine shrimp once in a while. One betta doesn't create a whole lot of waste, so I have to supplement the shrimps diet with the brine shrimp.
Cody27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #6 
beautiful Betta

You always need to ensure it is defrosted before feeding, the best way (IMO) is to defrost a small amount in a cup in a very small amount of tank water, usually takes about 2 mins to start separating, then I will pick out the best pieces with tweezers and drop in the tank. Allowing my boy to finish eating one before I drop in another. You don't want to just dump it all in the tank in case any gets missed, as it will pollute the water much more than a uneaten pellet. I do the same with my boys pellets also.

Just some advice I personally would get rid of the freeze dried stuff it is all full of air which can really upset a betta's digestive system.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #7 
ClassicRocker

If a person has Ghost Shrimp, like we do (4), they will find the left over bloodworm, if there is any, and eat it. I dropped a fish flake into our tank yesterday, our betta tasted it and spit it out and two pieces floated to the bottom. Next thing I know, one of our Ghost Shrimp is right on top of it and dragged it over to a corner w/it's feet and devoured it. The other piece of flake is gone now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful Betta View Post
You always need to ensure it is defrosted before feeding, the best way (IMO) is to defrost a small amount in a cup in a very small amount of tank water, usually takes about 2 mins to start separating, then I will pick out the best pieces with tweezers and drop in the tank. Allowing my boy to finish eating one before I drop in another. You don't want to just dump it all in the tank in case any gets missed, as it will pollute the water much more than a uneaten pellet. I do the same with my boys pellets also.

Just some advice I personally would get rid of the freeze dried stuff it is all full of air which can really upset a betta's digestive system.
ClassicRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #8 
aselvarial

I use a turkey baster for feeding mine frozen brine shrimp (which they both LOVE). I thaw it in water, and suck up a little at a time, and drop a couple drops at a time. As it floats down they can swim and "hunt" it. Once that drop or two is gone, i do a couple more. I've discovered they do far better adding tiny bits at a time and letting them hunt those down and then adding more. If I dump it all in, i wind up cleaning out a lot of it out of their gravel. Plus, I have a turkey baster on hand anyway.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote