Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #1 
KodaBear

Blue metallic X koi pair

What would be the outcome...found a female I liked that would match up good to male except colorXD. So if I did get said female and bred to my import koi what would be the outcome?
KodaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #2 
amphirion

I hear that certain koi are not actually marbles but operate around a different set of genes.
What does your koi look like? 1 color, 2, or 3?
What colors does your metallic possess? Black/blond, blue/green/steel, red/orange/yellow? All these things will influence your progeny.

If your koi is just a marble, then I would expect multicolored marbles.
But if your koi is a true koi type, you might get a mostly multicolored (non-marbles) and a few koi (apparently the genes are partial dominant)

But this is all guess work. I would encourage you to find out personally and I'm interested in the outcomes myself--I've never seen anyone attempt this cross, and I would like to incorporate koi patterns into my project, if it is possible.
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #3 
KodaBear

He's 2 or 3 depending on how to would consider it... Black orange and white, female I haven't bought yet but I am seriously looking at. She is more of a turquoise metallic
Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #4 
amphirion

White, meaning dragon scale white or cellophane? If the latter, you might end up with all blue bettas with various red and black washes. Reason being is that blue is completely absent in the male while completely covering the female. There could be a chance that the koi pattern will dominate and the blue might show up only on the black. Again, all guess work. Please do this cross.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #5 
KafkaDream

That would certainly make some interesting fry... Now I'm very interested in what would be the outcome!
KafkaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #6 
KodaBear

Hmm sounds like a good try for me. I also found a purple dragonscale I liked and I have another male that is a purple orange pink multi ( I think not sure what to call) woul this be a good pair ?
Here's a picture of him
And a picture of the koi :)
Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #7 
amphirion

Nice! So you got that one! That fleck of blue on the male might play an interesting role, shows that he has blue after all.

Have no idea what multis will produce since I am not familiar with their layer composition.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #8 
KodaBear

Ok thanks... Contacted breeder... Fingers crossed female isnt already sold
Old 03-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #9 
KodaBear

oh my gosh great newshe had both females i wanted still...so theb lue one is mine..will post log when i breed..man ill have four fish coming in around the same time both my males and my females
Old 03-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #10 
KodaBear

The girls got here today:D... But the blue female has red wash.She didn't have it in the video. Could this be part of being stressed or did I luck out and her get the red after I got her