Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #1 
CodeRed

Unhappy I'm thinking... it may be time

I think... I think I've delayed long enough.
Vulcan is in terrible shape =/

This ... thing has been growing on his for months. No medication I use works, and no amount of TLC has made any difference. I've tried delaying, hoping that time will help, but I just don't see any way time will help.
I'm asking for some way of humane euthanization. I may or may not use it, but I'm thinking so. With the way he is, he's not going to die soon, and that stuff will just keep taking him over. He's really got no joy in his life. His swimming is hindered, and he can't have any plants and such in his tanks, due to his water changes.
I don't think my mind can be changed now. It'll kill me to do it, but I feel like it's better for him if I do.
Besides, it's killing me more to see him like this than it would to just... end it all.

Any help?
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #2 
truthequalslies

what have you used? maybe lupin knows what can be done?

euthenasia:
Clove Oil & Vodka
1. Add tank water to a measuring cup or other container. Measure the amount of tank water you add to the cup or container and make a note of it. Place the fish in the container. If the fish is in a clear container, place a dark towel around it to calm the fish.

2. Fill a small, clean jar or bottle with tank water, leaving some room at the top. This might be a baby food jar or pill bottle. Put 1 drop of clove oil in the jar or bottle, cap and shake vigorously. The clove oil must emulsify, turning the water milky white.

3. Gently pour about 1/4 of this emulsified mixture into the fish's container. The fish will begin to fall asleep. Let the fish be for about 10 minutes. The fish should be resting on the bottom by then. It will look dead, but if you watch closely its gills will be breathing once every few seconds. If after 10 minutes the fish is still rising off the bottom swimming intermittently, retrieve the jar or bottle of emulsified clove oil, re-shake, and add the same dose to the fish's container. Wait again.

4. Once the fish is asleep on the bottom, add 20-25% white grain alcohol such as vodka. For example, if the fish is in 8oz of water, add 2oz of vodka. Let the fish stay there for at least 20 minutes.

5. Check the fish carefully after 20 minutes for any gill movement. If there is no gill movement over a 60 second period, the fish has expired.

Last edited by truthequalslies; 01-26-2010 at 05:03 PM.
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I am sooo sorry about Vulcan! He is such a pretty fish. I know how hard this is for you. You do whatever you feel you need to do. He is a very lucky boy to have an owner who loves him so much and cares so much for his well being. I know you tried everything you could to make him better. I'm sorry things didn't work out. You gave him the best of care and I'm sure that, somehow, he knows that you did your best for him and that you love him so much.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #4 
CodeRed

I've used salt baths, maracyn 1, maracyn 2, bettafix, melafix, and jfe. I tired the betta and mela fix just in case, but it was a no go ):
Thanks for the info. I'll pick up the stuff tomorrow. If I can't do it, I'll ask for my mom's help.

And thank you, drama. That's made me feel a bit better (:
Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #5 
truthequalslies

aww well i showed those pix of vulcan to my dad and he told me it could be parasites im going to forward this thread to lupin to see if he can help it kills me to think he's gunna go to that huge fishbowl in the sky T_T
Old 01-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #6 
Jupiter

I'm really sorry. You tried your best and took good care of him. :(

I only know of overdosing with clove oil, but I don't know the specifics of it.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #7 
doggyhog

Oy.... poor Baby.. :( You know, Vulcan had a GREAT life with you, better then some kid who would have crammed him in a 1/2g and never changed the water.

If you do Euthanize him, you can put him in Clove oil to make him sleep, then net him and dip him in boiling water. That is the technic I've always heard is best.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Lupin knows a LOT about fish diseases and medications. I' sure he'll have some good advice to offer.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #9 
CodeRed

Thank you for the support, everyone. I think I'm going to do it tomorrow. There's no use putting it off for days, until I cave in.

Edit:
Or should I wait a day to see if there's anything that can be done?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #10 
truthequalslies

i would wait but in the end it's up to you and what you feel is right