Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #11 
Jupiter

Would the blackwater extract they sell at petstores work too? Just curious.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #12 
PinkDiamond

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were supposed to be very cautious with/not use filtered or bottled water as fish water...

This was because the parameters of the water could be different between different batches of bottled water, and over time, the efficiency of the Brita or other filter would change as it neared time to be replaced, changing the parameters of the water too... And as we all know, a sudden change in water parameters = one unhappy and unhealthy fishy. :(

Just a thought. Of the three options, I'd probably go with the Indian Almond Leaf over changing the kind of water that he's in.
PinkDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #13 
kelly528

Glad I could help Vaygirl ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkDiamond View Post
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were supposed to be very cautious with/not use filtered or bottled water as fish water...

This was because the parameters of the water could be different between different batches of bottled water, and over time, the efficiency of the Brita or other filter would change as it neared time to be replaced, changing the parameters of the water too... And as we all know, a sudden change in water parameters = one unhappy and unhealthy fishy. :(

Just a thought. Of the three options, I'd probably go with the Indian Almond Leaf over changing the kind of water that he's in.
With IAL you run the risk of the parameters changing whenever you change the water because you are taking out the IAL water and replacing it with tapwater and then the IAL take about a day to soak bakc into it. So as far as I am concerned it is a moot-point. Also bear in mind that Brita Filters last for a good couple of months, you can also test the hardness if you think it filter is working at less efficiency. But I would not consider a change of up to 30ppm even perceptibly significant on a scale of up to 300 and higher.

I'm not sure about BWE...I will have to see if I remember where I saw the chemical in IAL that netralises hardness and see if it's an ingredient in BWE.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #14 
vaygirl

To be honest, I have that problem with my tap water. Last month it's ph was 7.6. This month it's 6.

I really only do 20% changes weekly on all my tanks because they're cycled so there won't be huge swings for mine. I guess if you're doing 100% you'd have to be more careful.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Where can you get BWE?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #16 
doggyhog

Most pet stores. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Would Petsmart have it?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #18 
vaygirl

I ordered an API kh/gh testing kit (cause strips are awful) and I got it today. According to it, my gh is 125 (soft, or slightly hard depending on what I've read) and my kh is 3, both in my tap and in Tango's tank.

I know we always doubt bettafix but I gotta tell you guys, Tango's fins have uncurled a lot on the bottom and on his ventral since I added it to his tank.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote