Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #1 
KristinIsGreat

Betta not hungry for almost 2 weeks...

We've had our betta since November. We keep him alone in a 1.5gal tank with a filter that we rarely ever turn on.

My boyfriend was trying to do the fish a favor and clean his water. Not sure how much water was changed. Used regular tap water and a drop or two of stresscoat. Didn't tell me about it until I noticed that the fish wasn't eating.

Once I found out, we switched him to distilled water (which he was perfectly happy in before) and took him out of the tank entirely. Moved to a sterile mason jar for the time being.

That was roughly two weeks ago - I've switched from pellets (which he used to love but now shuns) to bloodworms. Won't touch either. Has lost his little fish belly. Getting worried because now he won't even bother flaring.

Doesn't show any signs of ick or fungus, scales are perfectly smooth and fins are intact and beautiful. Have been reading for a few hours, but to no avail.

The only factor that has changed is the water type. Now that we've returned to the distilled water, only location has changed. Still no luck.

Thoughts?
KristinIsGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #2 
Hadouken441

Well from changing water to changing locations would be very stressful. So he put in stress coat but not water conditioner?? That could be pretty bad. Is his water warm or cold?? If you warm up the water he might feel better (assuming it was cold)
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #3 
HopeInHeart

I've heard that distilled water is not good to use for them
HopeInHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Distilled water lacks the trace elements and minerals that fish need.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 AM   #5 
kelly528

First of all

a) Is this tank heated?
b) How often are you cleaning this thing & how much water do you change?

Colder temperatures inevitably slow the metabolism of a fish down and considering that bettas prefer their water at about 80 degrees fareinheit room temperature won't quite cut it.

A 1.5g tank needs to be cleaned (water dumped, gravel rinsed, decorations rinsed) roughly every 5 days to keep the ammonia (fish waste) in the water from reaching toxic levels. The damage ammonia causes to gill tissue will limit oxygen uptake, causing lethargy.

As a precaution (I don't think this is his issue), does his poop appear white or stringy in any way? Lack of interest in food and stringy faeces can signal infection by internal parasites.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #6 
Jayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken441 View Post
Well from changing water to changing locations would be very stressful. So he put in stress coat but not water conditioner?? That could be pretty bad. Is his water warm or cold?? If you warm up the water he might feel better (assuming it was cold)
stresscoat removes cholorine and more its a all in one Haouken441
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote