Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #11 
Noko

My dad said he is looking worse, and the white stuff that looked like skin is spreading apparently. Can someone help me with this? I can get photos of both of my bettas tomorrow if needed. My dad said he bought all sorts of medication, like a fungus remover, ich medication (he needed that for his tank I think), even a slime coat thing. I have some Melafix I could use also. I wanted to go to the petstore anyways tomorrow, so I can get all sorts of medication if needed. I have a 1.5 gallon tank, and a medium sized vase I could use to put them in so I can completly change the water, and wash everything, but I don't know if this will just make them worse. I am really worried about both of them, so any help would be appreciated!

On a better note, Alpha is no longer stressed, just sick :( One of his problems is fixed at least.

Last edited by Noko; 02-03-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #12 
JamieTron

Can you describe the white stuff? Do they both have the white stuff? Also you said he had a blurry eye? Is it swollen in any way?

Stress can lead to infections that is true as beat has posted. Stress can make a fish more prone to bacterial and fungal infections. A picture would be very helpful. It is good you noticed this so quickly though and your dad bought medications so you have them ready if needed. You are prepared now we just need to figure out the problem.

I would not blame yourself for his stress, you would not have known that would happen. And freckles may have brought something in with her if you did not quarantine her first. I would suggest keeping an eye on freckles too, maybe even giving her a quick salt bath just in case she is sick as well or if she caught something from Alpha. You did the right thing by removing her.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #13 
Noko

The eye is just cloudy. His other eye is normal looking. The white stuff looked like skin was peeling off of him. There were multiple other spots to, but they looked pretty much the same (skin peeling off).

Freckles was only placed in a little vase overnight, not so much of a quarantine, but I have never had a problem with petsmart having sick fish (I avoid the sick tanks). Freckles probably did have some sorta illness that spread to Alpha and took over because he was so stressed. I will try to get a photo tonight.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #14 
JamieTron

okay, a photo would be great. Sometimes white stuff can be a fungus or columnaris bacteria, a photo would help understand the white stuff better :)
Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #15 
Noko

Freckles AND Alpha both died today. I really wish I would of acted sooner, and did more for both of them. I feel so bad now. I don't think I will keep any bettas for I feel like I am unable to care for them the way they need to be cared for.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

It wasn't your fault!! I'm so sorry for your losses. You did everything you could for them and gave them a good home. Don't blame yourself! Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #17 
Noko

It was my fault though. I should of quarintined Freckles. I shouldn't of stressed Alpha out. I think Freckles had a disease that she was going to die from anyways, but I could of saved Alpha.

So I don't repeate this mistake with any other fish, how should I quarintine a fish?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

You just keep it in a separate container for two weeks or so and just keep an eye on it. Don't be too hard on yourself. I probably would have done the same thing and put a fish with another one, not knowing something could happen.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #19 
JamieTron

It is totally not your fault you could not tell she was sick, it was an honest mistake. I wouldn't give up on bettas, you did the best you could and you asked for help. Illnesses happen all the time and sometimes they just can't be fixed.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #20 
Noko

I seem to have better luck with other fish. I was thinking about getting a nice group of tetras, or some ghost shrimp. I might try female bettas again later on.

I decided that Alpha had columnaris. He was covered in cottony stuff. Freckles on the other hand looked like she just randomly died. No signs of illness.