Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #1 
FancyFins

Betta fish newbie

So I used to have a Crowntail Betta but ...well... no one had told me that they do better in nice tanks with heat and such so... not a happy ending needless to say. Then on the horse forum I frequent, someone was posting pictures of their fish and filled me in on proper care so I was inspired to try again. I bought a pair from petsmart today and have them in temporary tanks until the end of the week. Mostly to see how they do before I go on a huge shopping spree.

My plan is to have two ten gallon tanks. One for a few females (maybe some mollys or something as well?) and one that I will put a divider in and have two males. I already picked out the heaters and such, I'm just curious if that would be a good set up?

Today I got one male and one female, (not to breed) to get started. I picked the male because his head looks almost like it has freckles, even though he isn't overly colorful. I named him Ringo. And then I got the healthiest looking female I could find.. she is about the same color. Her name is Dallas.
FancyFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #3 
doggyhog

Sounds GREAT!! :)

There is a GREAT sticky on female betta sororities! Here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #4 
FancyFins

Thank you so much! :)
Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #5 
Eolith

Mollies probably won't be the best fit for your setup. I suggest just doing as much research as you can. It really pays off. I wouldn't be surprised if your new bettas start to gain back a little more color
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:03 AM   #6 
FancyFins

Yeah I've actually speant a few hours sifting through threads on here and found out the mollys were a bad idea lol! I saw a book that I want to get and I've been doing a lot of online research as well :) I don't mind if they don't get overly colorful as long as they are healthy. I ended up picking some fish with very perky personalities, so that's fun.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #7 
Hadouken441

Get albino cory's. Cutest damn things ever and they'll keep your tank clean. From my experience dont get guppies. They nip everything. They nip my frog... they steal food and they piss off my betta. So they're gone :D
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #8 
truthequalslies

You know its a funny thing when I wasa kid and didn't know any better I had a small glass hexagon tank and I had so many fish in it I had maybe 3 dif types of goldfish and a male betta and 2 adf's and quite a few others it had a good filter of course but I am amazed to this day on how long I had them all and how well they got along but of course I guess that was a fluke ieven somehow had a mail and female betta together who got along the only thing I know of that didn't work out was we had 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon with an adf and each of the goldfish grabbed the adf by a foot and tore it apart my father told me I was screaming lol I also always got really workedup wen something was hunted down and killed on national geographic lol sorry for the random memmory and my rambling lol.

Well thanks for doing research instead of just rushing head on into a possible disaster =}
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:39 AM   #9 
truthequalslies

Also snails do great with bettasjust watch out cuz one snail can turn into many lol

Last edited by truthequalslies; 02-03-2010 at 02:45 AM.
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome the the forum. You'll find plenty of help and nice people here.

Kudos for researching how to care for your fish. Your idea sounds like a great one :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote