Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #11 
haveyouhadyourteayet

Yikes yeah that is fin rot. Not surprising given the care he had before... Shame on that mother, it was solely up to her to care for the pet, and she COMPLETELY failed. *dismounts high horse*

To treat fin rot (and this is almost advanced to body rot on that bottom/anal fin) you will want to add aquarium salt, gradually increasing the salinity to 1tsp/gallon. I mix some up in some heated aq water, so I'd try to get 2 or 3 cups heated up, and add mix 10 tsp of aquarium salt into that. Then add maybe 1/4 of a cup at a time, giving 30 mins in between for him to get used to it.
That will purge the infection from his fins. If it continues to advance, you can increase to 2 tsp/gal, but do not leave the salt in for more than 10 days, it's pretty hard on their kidneys. I imagine with that and the clean/warm water, he'll heal up pretty quickly :)
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #12 
Fethre

Oh no. :(
Can I treat him in a 1 gal tank? Will I need to do a 100% water change daily? And lastly, can I use the water from his current 10 gal?
Fethre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #13 
haveyouhadyourteayet

I would leave him in the 10G, as long as it is properly cycled. The water is gonna be 'cleaner,' although you might want to up the partials. Usually it's recommended to clean about a third of the water, plus cleaning substrate. I'd up that to about half maybe.

You could treat him in 1G, I'd do daily changes :)
Old 03-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #14 
Fethre

Well thank you for the help, I really appreciate it. I'll do some more research and get the aquarium salt ASAP.
If it's not too late, can his fins potentially grow back completely? I thought he was just old, I'm really kicking myself for not looking into it sooner.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:37 AM   #15 
haveyouhadyourteayet

They will very definitely grow back. No worries there.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

You may want to take a more aggressive treatment and treat with actual meds if that is indeed fin rot, since its so close to the body - something like API's Furan 2 would work. Stress coat at 2X the dosage will help fins regrow once the rot is treated. However they might look a little funky once they do.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-19-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:59 AM   #17 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
You may want to take a more aggressive treatment and treat with actual meds if that is indeed fin rot, since its so close to the body - something like API's Furan 2 would work. Stress coat at 2X the dosage will help fins regrow once the rot is treated. However they might look a little funky once they do.
This. That's close to the body, and could cause some serious problems. I'd give him a 30 minute dip each day in a 1 gallon "hospital tank" with Furan 2 (yes, I know it's super hard to measure the amount for 1 gallon), and then put him back in his big tank again when the dip is all done. And make sure to acclimatize him! (float him in a cup or bag for a while before putting him in either tank so the temperature doesn't shock him) After that, stress coat at the higher dosage in his big tank will help essentially replace the lost slime coat and help him heal up, stay calm, etc.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #18 
Fethre

I'm able to order Furan 2, but that'll probably take about a week+ to get here (if I can't find it locally, near me there is only PetSmart and Walmart).

Is there another treatment I can use that I may be able to find at those places? If not what can I do until the Furan 2 gets here, just treat with aquarium salt? I'm asking in advance because even PetSmart/Walmart is 40 minutes away I want to know what to keep an eye out for. :)
Old 03-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #19 
haveyouhadyourteayet

This thread is my go to guide for medication, I'm super clueless about it too:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

From that thread:
"Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth."

Taking daily pictures is a huge aid in tracking progress/regrowth
Old 03-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #20 
Mando

you're little guy seems to either have severe fin rot or he bites his fins off. you might want to contact the previous owner if it had long fins at one point if it didn't it is probably a girl and then that would still make it fin rot or fin nipping but less severe. but they should grow back if it had long fins before because of how well your keeping him or her. keep it up.
Mando is offline   Reply With Quote