Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2014, 01:57 AM   #21 
Fethre

Thank you for the link, haveyouhadyourteayet! I hope all goes well, I really want to help Little Guy, so fingers crossed! I'll take daily pictures, too.
Mando, apparently he used to have 'long flowy blue fins' so he's definitely a male.
Fethre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #22 
haveyouhadyourteayet

He's too big to be a female anyways XD

What meds did you end up getting, if any? How's he responding to them?
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #23 
Fethre

I got API Tetracycline and Fungus Cure. If i'm not mistaken (or too hopeful) i'm almost 100% certain I see regrowth/improvement.
I took the best picture I could just now i'll go ahead and post that.

On another note, are betta's normally like very active? I think today marks a week that he's been in his 10 gallon, he is literally all over the place! It seems like every once in a while he purposely swims under the filter's waterfall flow thingy and it pretty much takes him down lol. He'll very slowly approach it with his little fins all perked up and then speed up and go right under. (i baffled it with a waterbottle but it's still pretty strong, looking for a sponge) In addition to that the Java Moss I ordered got here yesterday and I spread it along the log he has, he nipped at it several times and then he Literally rolled in it, and spread it/took it off the log. I even took short video of him doing it. :p
One last thing (sorry i'm totally babbling, it's just so exciting to watch him lol) he tries to nip at me through the glass (even without my hands anywhere in sight)? And if I stick my hand in it seems pretty aggressive the way he comes after me. As soon as my hand hovers over the water, even just to feed him, he jumps out of the water (not much if barely) to try to get me. Is this normal?

All in all he seems very happy. :)
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #24 
Fethre

Not sure why his top fin looks black/brown, but to me it does not look sickly looking, it's actually completely blue. I'm uploading the short video of him in the Java Moss and you can see his bright blue fin. :)
I'll post the link as soon as it's up!

Last edited by Fethre; 03-21-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #25 
Fethre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF89...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #26 
haveyouhadyourteayet

That does look a lot better!! Clean, warm water can work miracles!!
I'd mostly seen the nastiest looking rot on his anal (bottom) fin, and I'm still seeing a little nastyness, but it's a lot less dead looking. He's on the mend!!
Sounds like he's a very happy fishy!! He might actually slow down some one his fins come back, shorter tailed bettas tend to be a little zippier. And as his tail grows in, the flow of the filter may start bothering him, as his whole backside will be a giant sail.
It's very normal to try to get to the 'food monster', my fish will come beg at the edge of the glass, and follow my finger around the top, or if my hands are in there, they nibble at them. So cute.
The moss video is super cute!! Just keep an eye out if he's rubbing of 'flashing' against anything else, it can be a sign of parasites, they're itchy and make fish scratch on things. Looks like he's just playing here though :3
Cannot WAIT to see how he grows back!! He's very lucky to have you!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #27 
Fethre

I'm glad you think he's lucky to have me! I thought I would fail miserably at treating him (knock on wood).
He doesn't appear to scratch against anything, the whole playing in it has only happened when I barely put the moss in, but i'll keep an eye out for any more scratching just in case.
Anal fin? Are they the two little pointy fins right under his face/head? I just went through the pictures i've posted and realized you can't see them soooo.. I took 1 more! Lol :D

By the way, does he look fat? I'm feeding him Omega One now, he likes it just as much as Aqueon Pellets thankfully.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fethre; 03-21-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #28 
haveyouhadyourteayet

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=232570 Helpful fish map :)

The anal fin should be about as long as his other fins, and it's soooo short, probably had the worst of the rot cause he was laying in gunk :( sad but true.

So are you doing salt or meds or what?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #29 
Fethre

Oh wow, his fins are seriously short. :(

I'm treating him in the 1 gallon aquarium I have, using some water from his 10 gal. I'm measuring out the appropriate treatment amounts of both the Tetracycline and Fungus cure, no salt. Yesterday and today i've left him in the 1 gal for about 30 minutes before moving him back to his 10 gal (i'm sort of confused as to how long I should leave him in it, I don't want to over-do/over dose him). And i'm doing 100% water changes in the 1 gal.

I hope what i'm doing is about right?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #30 
haveyouhadyourteayet

Most meds are leave in, not 'dip' which is what you're currently doing :)

I would treat the big tank, and leave him in there, he seems happy with all the room.