Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #1 
nochoramet

Best lighting for aquarium

Ok. My lights are super ugly. They're incandescent lights, and they make everything in my tank look super drab and yellowy. They definitely don't showcase Haze's beautiful purple colors like he deserves. What are the best types of bulbs to buy to maximize the colors of my tank and fish?
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #2 
kelly528

If you are not digging the yellow you definitely want to get fluorescent lighting. You can purchase specialty fixtures from aquarium stores but really any 'energy saver' bulb will do, even those from the hardware store. It is usually easy to get your hands on a screw-in CFL (compact fluorescent bulb) that you can simply screw in where your incandescent bulb was. I prefer the shape of the Coralife Mini Compacts because the spiral bulb format is very inefficient. The full-spectrum lighting the bulb puts out is suitable for growing plants and will also enhance the color of your fish.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #3 
nochoramet

Ok, thank you! I just really am not feeling the yellow, it looks so dingy. The walls of my dorm are this pasty white color, so it makes it look worse with the yellow white.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote