Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2010, 02:08 AM   #1 
takumi

Question How important is.....

I just bought a beautiful pale pink and purple male Betta and i am now trying to figure out if i am completely prepared:

How important is having a light for your Betta fish? The tank i purchased did not come with one.

I have one plant, is this sufficient enough for a "hiding place"?
If not what other than a cave will suffice?

If i put anything too close to the edges of the tank, (i.e. a plant or rock), will my Betta get hurt or caught?

If there are small rocks at the bottom of the tank will the Betta's fins scrape on them and become tattered? (i heard of this happening before)

Thank you for any help you can give me
takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hi takumi,

Congrats on your new buddy. Post a picture of him when you can.

I just bought a beautiful pale pink and purple male Betta and i am now trying to figure out if i am completely prepared:

How important is having a light for your Betta fish? The tank i purchased did not come with one.
You should give them as natural a cycle as possible - daylight and night. Can you keep the tank near a window but out of direct sunlight? Otherwise, you should get a light and keep it on 8-10 hours a day. They need sleep and rest just like you and me.

I have one plant, is this sufficient enough for a "hiding place"?
If not what other than a cave will suffice? You could get a silk plant with big leaves. Make sure there are no fake "thorns" or sharp plastic parts on any of your plants that will tear his fins.

If i put anything too close to the edges of the tank, (i.e. a plant or rock), will my Betta get hurt or caught? It's possible. They're very curious and have been known to wedge themselves under rocks and in tight spaces.

If there are small rocks at the bottom of the tank will the Betta's fins scrape on them and become tattered? (i heard of this happening before) You should have nothing sharp in the tank at all.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think Romad covered just about everything. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #4 
Eolith

I have smooth pebbles in two of my tanks and marbles in the other one. The marbles are the safest, as they are completely smooth. Plus they look pretty cool. As long as your plant isn't coarse, it should be fine to place it up against the edge of the tank. My bettas enjoy exploring and squeezing through snug areas.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #5 
kelly528

I don't see any need for a light unless you need a fluorescent light for growing plants. Remember, bettas are dark-water fish who thrive in water stained brown by leaf litter so direct light is not necessary, let alone natural. As long as he is in a room with a window so that he is getting a little bit of full-spectrum light he will be absolutely fine. He needs a period where it is light enough to see (ie a room with the lights off but natural daylight coming in through a window), and a period of pitch-black at night and that is about it. Any additional light serves him no purpose.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #6 
Eolith

Extra light always illuminates them really pretty though. ;D I usually only turn on my tank lights in the afternoon/evening when the natural light is fading and I'm in my room studying. It's so nice seeing my gorgeous little gems swimming from place to place in their tanks.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #7 
kelly528

Yeah unless you have live plants the only time you should need to turn on your lights is for observation.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #8 
takumi

Thanks! You've all been very helpful. I live in a basement suite and i'm worried that the water temperature is too low, if i do need a heater which would be the best kind? Something small. I heard of 'heating pads'? Not sure what would be appropriate for my Betta....
Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #9 
Noko

A heater is a must if the water gets cold. What size tank do you have? Different heaters work better for different sized tanks.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #10 
takumi

2 Litres OR 1/2 U.S Gallon