Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #11 
Noko

You will need a bigger tank. 2.5 gallons is suggested. The tank you have will work for now I suppose, but a bigger tank is needed. Just make sure you do frequent water changes. If you get a 2.5 gallon tank, there are little heaters that you could use for it. You will need a thermometer to make sure the water is a good temperature.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #12 
takumi

hmmm okay. i'll just have to monitor the water with a thermomiter like you said. hopefullt this works!! thanks
takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #13 
kelly528

:O :O :O

Hun, you are gonna want to get a bigger tank! The minimum amount of gallons any heater can heat without cooking it is 1g. And heating pads are kind of sketchy-- they're not designed to support the weight of water, which is 8lb/gallon.

Also consider that at the rate a betta fish produces waste, you need to clean a 1 gallon tank every 2-3 days, so for a 1/2g that would mean daily cleaning! Not to meniton your betta is going to need some room to swim around in order to stay in shape! I strongly suggest you look into a bigger tank. Here's a little blurb I wrote for someone else who was struggling with tank size a while ago:

Quote:
Yeah. Unfortunately fish stores will sell you just about anything to get your money. And they make considerably more selling cheap tanks to a bunch of people than they do selling proper tanks to the few people who have actually done their homework on tank size.

Another common myth is that small tanks are lower maintenance. If you put three drops of red food coloring in your 1g bowl, it would probably turn the water bright red. If you put 3 drops of red food coloring in a 5g tank, it would only turn the water a light pink. The same goes for the waste your fish produces. The smaller the tank, the stronger the waste will be. So you have to clean it more often. If you are looking for a truly good beginner size, I strongly recommend you grab a 5g tank.

Furthermore, there are no heaters on the market that will heat a 1g to the right temperature. Since it is such a small amount of water even the smallest of heaters will often make the water too hot.

A lot of betta owners really like the Aqueon Mini-Bow 5... I would check it out if I were you. Great little kit.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #14 
takumi

I started looking for bigger tanks today when i picked up blood worms, my only problem is if i was to buy such a big tank for my beloved Betta i would want to put a few other fish in there as well. I read somewhere you can keep guppies, then another site said not put guppies in with a male Betta. Any suggestions?
takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cories or otos.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #16 
kelly528

Bettas sometimes confuse guppies for othe rmale bettas and go mano-y-mano with them.

If you want tankmates I suggest you get a 10g and put cories with them. Betta tankmates is a hotly disputed subject due both to the betta's delicate fins and their propensity to attack or eat things. But cories are probably the only actual fish that is pretty much guaranteed to get along with your betta.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote