Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #1 
Dresden

Eclipse 6 Acrylic Hairline Crack / Crazing

Hi everyone, I was just setting my tank up and noticed a 3" very thin line on the top left side of the aquarium where the seam is. The line runs verticaly. It is barely visible but can be felt when u run your hand over it like a piece of hair was glued on... It doesn't leak.

Does anyone else with an Eclipse system have anything like it? Is it from the manufacturing process?
Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #2 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
Hi everyone, I was just setting my tank up and noticed a 3" very thin line on the top left side of the aquarium where the seam is. The line runs verticaly. It is barely visible but can be felt when u run your hand over it like a piece of hair was glued on... It doesn't leak.

Does anyone else with an Eclipse system have anything like it? Is it from the manufacturing process?
Take it back. Generally cracks or crazing in acrylic aren't even an issue unless you are talking a 50, 80, 100g tank. But still! Out of the box?! Come on
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #3 
Dresden

I wish I could, it's like 5 years old. Getting a replacement tank for it may be very close in cost to just buying a new system...

I have it in the tub atm full and it doesnt leak.

It's weird like when I glide my hands over the spot it really feels like as if it was a hair right over the seam. Further inspection with my trust BelOMO Triplet Loupe show's it to be only visible/felt from the outside.

I tried to take a picture but unfortunatly it wasnt detailed enough to show.

Can other Acrylic tank user's can chime in with what is normal?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #4 
kelly528

Aww thats fair enough. I thought you bought it new!

You could seal it with silicone from the inside if you really wanted to be safe but since the tank is only holding what 24 lbs of water & is not leaking you shouldn't have leaks. That is given that the tank is cycled and you are not moving it frequently, rinsing it out over the sink every week etc.

If it doesn't extend all the way from top to base I recommend making a small dot with a black sharpie where it ends so you will know if it deepens.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #5 
Eolith

I wouldn't worry about it too much if it isn't leaking. My Eclipse that I got used has a few pretty good scratches, but none of them go through.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #6 
Dresden

This may sound silly but how feasable would it be to stick the 6 gallon eclipse into a basic 10gal glass tank. The LFS has some dirt cheap for like $15, so if the Eclipse ever leaks its protected?

Dimensionly it fits Eclipse 6 gal is 16" x 9 1/2" x 15"H the plain 10 gal is 20"x10"x12"H

I just don't know how acrylic fails, would the force of the acrylic tank failure then cause the 10 gal to go too? or would it just gently start to leak through at the seams and right into the nice 10 gal tank with me having no mess to clean.

Or would viewing acrylic through glass be just plain silly... :) Yes I know I am probably over analyzing but shrug I have nightmares of tank failure.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #7 
kelly528

If acrylic fails it will most definitely dribble out and you will notice it long before you have a problem on your hands. Acrylic tanks are pretty good for structural integrity, do not shatter like glass does and their resinous qualities make it possible to break them only with incredible force.

The volume of your tank as compared to the thickness of the acrylic is just not enough to burst the tank. To burst any sort of acrylic would take a miracle. Also, when most (glass) tanks burst they do so along the seams because the silicone gives out. But on a seamless tank this is clearly not a danger. Also acrylic is 17x stronger than glass.

My honest opinion is that unless this tank takes some major impact it will hold firm for many years to come.