Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #1 
unlimitedx

Will ghost shrimps eat my plants??

Will ghost shrimps eat the plants that are in my betta tank? I have amazon swords, hortwort, frills, and some green-grass like plant (I don't know the name of it :( )

Will the ghost shrimps eat the greens? or will it only eat the algae that grows within the tank? I spent quite a lot of money on the plants and I don't want the shrimps to be eating them!
unlimitedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #2 
SummerOj

i dont think they will? Im not too sure
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

No they don't eat the live plants.. they will eat dead and dieing plant matter. Which will help keep your tank clean

(Oh and BTW the plural if shrimp is shrimp.. sorry its just a pet peeve of mine)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #4 
unlimitedx

Cool :) and hello again!

I think I'll get 6 ghost shrimps. They're 6 for $1 at my local fish shop, and they're extremely tiny, about .25 to 75 inch. Maybe the betta will even eat some :P

Are they any other organic matter eating tiny critters I can get for the tank? besides snails, I don't really like snails :(
Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

not that I know of.. shrimp are the smallest, snails are small to big in size, then there are bottom dwellers but I wouldn't suggest them unless you have a 10 gallon tank or larger.

The betta may eat some. Ghost shrimp are really great for completing the ecosystem of a planted tank because they eat dieing plant matter then breed and/or die and give the betta a nice snack of dead shrimp and baby shrimp.

They do molt (shed their outer skins) so you need to provide lots of plant cover or a cave that the betta can't get into or stuck in where they can hide while they don't have shells
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #6 
unlimitedx

Got a dollar worth of ghost shrimps. They were supposed to give me 6 but when I got home there was only 5 in the bag :( :( :(

they're very tiny. once the ghost shrimps were placed in the tank the betta played hide n seek with them, trying to take a bite out of them but the shrimps were too fast for it. plus the shrimps are safe hiding inside the hornwort maze :)
Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #7 
unlimitedx

My ghost shrimps are dying one by one. Help!

I just got them yesterday, and 1 died this morning when I woke up, and another just died.

What's going on????
Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #8 
Eolith

I can't say. I've got three ghost shrimp in the tank with my betta and some live plants and other fish, and they've been doing just fine. I haven't lost a one of them. They're a great little cleaning crew though.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #9 
Tinthalas Tigris

do you have salt in your aquarium?

I don't know much about the ghost shrimp, but the one I have in my tank has thrived so far.

I currently have 2 tablespoon of salt per each gallon of water in my tank.

The shrimp swims and crawls all over while the light is on.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #10 
unlimitedx

The added some aquarium salt.

This morning, another died :( :( :(

The first dead shrimp has some sort of clear stuff growing around it. Should I leave the dead shrimps in the aquarium so it will decompose and become fertilizer for the plants?