Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2010, 01:56 AM   #1 
reaperss06

cover or no?

Yes like the title says, do I have to keep the cover on or can I keep it off, the heater I got seems to be heating up slowly more than the heat chart says it would. I was wondering if I could leave the top off just to see if it keeps it at one temp or am I supposed to keep it on because he might jump out or something.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #2 
TigerLily

Your tank should always have a cover to prevent him from jumping out, just be sure he can still get air. If you must take the cover off, then it's best to lower the water level some.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 AM   #3 
reaperss06

I thought I heard he could jump out, but I changed the way the top was set up so maybe that will help, I'm going to unplug the heater tonight while I sleep then back on when I wake up tomorrow just so I don't end up cooking my poor little guy overnight.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #4 
Skyker

From what I know, fluctuating temperatures are worse than cold ones.
Skyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

You should keep the heater on. Is it set to a certain temperature? Most are set to 78 degrees F but I would still keep a thermometer in there just in case.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #6 
reaperss06

The heater doesnt have a temp set on it. I just plug it in and let it go, its meant for 2-5 gallons and I guess goes by water pressure or something. I only have a 2 gallon tank.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #7 
veganchick

you should get a thermometer... They are about a dollar at most grocery stores
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #8 
reaperss06

I might do that, I have been watching the water with a thermometer and it seems to stay at a constant temp. Thank you for your help.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #9 
PinkDiamond

Glad that the tank temperature seems constant now, it's so important to the little guy's health!

Just another bit of info to add about tank lids - they're necessary not only to prevent the fish from jumping out, but also to maintain the betta's respiratory health. In their native habitats in Thailand, the air is warm and humid. A lid on a nice, heated tank maintains a layer of warm humid air at the water's surface, which is what the betta will be breathing. Their labyrinth organs are best adapted to air of this type, and if they are in an uncovered tank, the air at the surface will be much drier and colder, and this isn't very good for them.
PinkDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote