In my bedroom I have 4 tanks.
2 goldfish bowls hosting:
Elliot, my common betta
George, my teeny tiny crowntail (he's seriously the smallest betta ive ever seen. And such a fighter!)
1 5G starter tank with my very spoiled common betta Daniel
1 29G tank with a single zebra who refuses to give in to his age and a common spotted pleco named Plato who is roughly the size of my hand. (He's getting a new tank this year. Spoiled little fella ^_^ )
While doing a water change last night for Elliot and George, I noticed Elliots' water was a dull pink, as if someone had dumped a cup of fruit punch into the tank.
I looked it up and the first thing they said to check was the ornaments. His rocks are green and his flower bunch is mostly brown. All the items in the tank have been there for years and have undergone multiple washings so I ruled that out.
The only other thing I could see was a pink algae outbreak which apparently was bacterial in nature. I checked the other tanks and they were all fine so I prayed for the best and did a full water change anyways.
Now this evening, Daniel's tank which is clear across the room has pink water too.
The other tanks, including Elliots' newly cleaned tank, are all still ok but I'm worried now.
How do I kill this? They say bleach but that's insanely hazardous if any is left at all. Should I replace the betta tanks in order to stop the spread? The whole bathroom and kitchen is getting bleached just in case.
How dangerous is pink algae to fish anyways? I see tons of articles on what it is and how to kill it but never if it's super hazardous or not...