Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #1 
Ohtar

Exclamation Potential Bacterial Outbreak?

In my bedroom I have 4 tanks.

2 goldfish bowls hosting:
Elliot, my common betta
George, my teeny tiny crowntail (he's seriously the smallest betta ive ever seen. And such a fighter!)

1 5G starter tank with my very spoiled common betta Daniel

1 29G tank with a single zebra who refuses to give in to his age and a common spotted pleco named Plato who is roughly the size of my hand. (He's getting a new tank this year. Spoiled little fella ^_^ )

While doing a water change last night for Elliot and George, I noticed Elliots' water was a dull pink, as if someone had dumped a cup of fruit punch into the tank.
I looked it up and the first thing they said to check was the ornaments. His rocks are green and his flower bunch is mostly brown. All the items in the tank have been there for years and have undergone multiple washings so I ruled that out.
The only other thing I could see was a pink algae outbreak which apparently was bacterial in nature. I checked the other tanks and they were all fine so I prayed for the best and did a full water change anyways.
Now this evening, Daniel's tank which is clear across the room has pink water too. The other tanks, including Elliots' newly cleaned tank, are all still ok but I'm worried now.

How do I kill this? They say bleach but that's insanely hazardous if any is left at all. Should I replace the betta tanks in order to stop the spread? The whole bathroom and kitchen is getting bleached just in case.
How dangerous is pink algae to fish anyways? I see tons of articles on what it is and how to kill it but never if it's super hazardous or not...
Ohtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #2 
JamieTron

You could try cleaning everything with a vinegar solution and very hot water. Just make sure to rinse like crazy, but it is less hard to remove than bleach. Bleach can stay on surfaces for long periods of time unless deactivated with sodium thiosulfate which well most people don't know what it is or how use it. I had to use it to clean my tubes to grow my algae in for my baby shellfish at work.

I would say try the vinegar OR salted hot water...either one will probably kill the bacteria. Do this with all tank decorations and gravel as well. Make sure to rinse the salt or vinegar off several times with fresh water before adding new tank water.

Not sure about it's hazards to fish, but it would be wise to try to get rid of it anyways
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #3 
Ohtar

i dont have any vinegar around besides balsamic so I think ill try the salt wash.
Thank you. Thats the most help ive gotten in all the places ive looked

we'll see how it goes.
Ohtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #4 
JamieTron

Good luck Hopefully it should work, in theory it should, but sometimes bacteria can be tricky!
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discoloration, pink