Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #1 
Meg215

Question(sort of)

Walter has been pouting since I put the heater in his tank. He really seems sensitive to the water changes and really any change at all! I feel like he's being traumatized everytime I change his water or add something to make his home better. He flips out when I try to catch him and I feel like I'm going to hurt him. *sigh* When I finally do catch him his breathing stays heavy for a long time. It's gotten really bad now that the heater is in there. He just sits in the same spot and doesn't move much. My mom seems to think the warm water is throwing him off since he's been in cold his whole life. She wants me to take the heater out to see what happens but I dont want to keep fluctuating the temp on him.

Has anyone else experienced there betta being sensitive to the water changes and new items in the tank?
Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

What temperature is the heater at? If its adjustable, try lowering the temp a degree or 2 and see if that helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #3 
Meg215

It's not adjustable its just suppossed to keep the temp 78 +/- 2 degrees. However its only keeping it at about 74-76.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

How big is the tank?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #5 
Meg215

2.5G the heater says its god for 2.5 - 15G. Well now he's acting better. Swimming around more. Is it normal for bettas to take so long to recover from water changes and new additions to their tank?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had one a long time ago that would act like he was dying every time I did a water change. He HATED water changes. But he always recovered after 15-20 minutes.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #7 
veganchick

if you are catching him with a net instead of a cup, that might be the reason. Bettas are really sensative to being netted and dont usually recover quickly
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #8 
Meg215

OH! I had no idea. :( I was catching him with a net because he's really fast and well that's what thought you needed to do! This might be a stupid question but why are they so affected by a net rather then a cup?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I tried using a cup on one of mine instead of a net, thinking it would be easier for me and him. He knew what I was trying to do with that cup and it stressed him out just as much as the net did. So I went back to the net.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #10 
Meg215

I'm worried. He's not making any more bubblenests. He was making big ones! And he just keeps staying in this one corner. The only thing I can think of is the heater. But it just seems so weird that he would be upset by it. Do you guys think maybe I should take the heater out and see what happens?