Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #11 
Wildstorm

As far as I know he is very healthy, and he sort of plays with the pellets so I think he has genuine interest. Let's hope he eats one!
Wildstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #12 
aselvarial

Mine did this for over a week after I got him. I panicked. He finally started eating frozen brine shrimp, and that's when I realized he only ate his food when he could chase it. Yours may prefer to "hunt" his food like mine does. If the pellets just sit there, he ignores them. I use a turkey baster, suck the presoaked pellets up, and shoot them into his water one at a time. They shoot down and then pop back up so he gets to chase his food. Now he LOVES feeding time.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #13 
Scubakrat

Scuba was like that until I moved him into his 10gal. I bought this little fish a buffet of food to chose from between micro pellets, flakes with freeze-dried bloodworms, frozen bloodworms and a large pellet I used to have to crush for him. He was so picky. The only thing he'll eat religiously are the (smal fish formula) NLS pellets, so if you haven't tried those, I highly recommend them!
Scubakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #14 
Wildstorm

Thank you for the advice! I think he is eating now, but only when I leave the room. I find the pellets disappear...
Wildstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #15 
1RainbowBetta

I have a picky new betta too. I got him a week ago, and so far he has refused Omega One betta buffet, tetrabetta pellets, bettamin flakes, and Hikari bio-gold betta pellets. THe only one he'd even put in his mouth was the Hikari, but he spit it out. All he has eaten is a couple pieces of freeze dried bloodworm two days ago, and the day before that. I've ordered some NLS betta pellets and freeze dried daphnia and brine shrimp. I talked to the Petco employee today. She said she had a betta once who would only eat bloodworms, so she just fed him that but only every third day. She also recommended not forcing them to fast for many days if they won't eat what you want them to eat because one of hers died when she did that. Just thought I'd mention and see what others think. If "fussy fishy" won't eat any of the other foods when I get them, I don't know what else to give him unless I try some frozen food.

Wildstorm - funny (but fortunate) that he's eating now when you leave the room. I tried that too and came back to soaked pellets at the bottom of the bowl.

If I want to try soaking pellets in garlic, do I just crush a garlic clove and set the pellet in the juices for a few minutes? Or can I use garlic powder in some water and soak the pellet in that?
1RainbowBetta is offline   Reply With Quote