Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

What a great day.

I love when I get new fish stuff to play with LOL.

Today I went to the thrift store and picked up a 3-5gallon tank (not quite sure how big it is yet) and my eco-complete!!!!!

I got the tank for $8!!!! This is going to be Ember's new home when he comes to live with me . It doesn't have a light, filter, or heater yet but I'm working on it. They seemed to have a run on heaters at petsmart today and I couldn't find a filter that was the right size. There was a 3gal one and a 10-20 gal... nothing for 5ish gallons... I'll probably order a sea deco art nano filter for it. It will have the cycled gravel from my 10 gal because my 10 gal is getting the eco complete for its upcoming plants!

So today I'm cleaning the new tank, taking EVERYTHING out of my 10 gal and siliconing the divider in place. And on monday (because the silicon needs 48 hours to dry) I'm putting the eco-complete, decor, and fish/snails back in. Busy weekend!

The only draw back to the new tank is the hood was siliconed on so if anyone knows a way to get it off I would be really greatful. The tank is still useable but just hard to get in/out of.

And the best news of all. A member of my betta association has agreed to give me a few plants for my tank when I meet up with him at a meeting in march!!!!
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #2 
Tragedy

If you can get to the silicon you can cut it off using a razor blade (:
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I tried a knife (no razor blade) but it couldn't get a good angle on it. I think my roommate has a box cutter that might work .. hmmm
Old 02-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #4 
Tragedy

Yea, a box cutter should work ^^
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I tried softening it with a hair dryer and attacking it with the box cutter but got little headway. I don't want to use up all of my roomies blades so I may have to go buy one and extra blades. I think if I worked on it long enough I could get the hood off. Problem is I want to get this tank cleaned up and running so after Ember gets out of QT he can go into his new home.

I read on a site that Acetone will soften silicone but that it will also mess up the plastic (the tank is acrylic).. so I'm too scared to try that.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #6 
fishguy3

why is your tank siliconed together?
fishguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

I don't know. I bought it used today at a thrift store. My best guess is that the person who owned it before housed some sort of small reptile in there, probably a lizard. And to keep the animal in the tank they glued the top on.