Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #21 
Cody27

Ok, sounds to me like most use either one or a combo (2) of Hikari Bio-Gold, NLS and Omega One Buffet. There are a couple of other good brands out there, but these three seem to "top the charts" for popularity. Omega One Buffet and NLS are pretty equal in popularity as #1 and Hikari is #2 for popularity........from what I've read anyway. All three are highly recommended by a lot of experienced Aquarist.

I do know that Omega One has excellent ingredients and, it's small "betta mouth size" is what a lot of folks love as well as their beta's love. I just started ours on the Omega One Buffet yesterday and loved it that he sucked up the pellet FAST and ate it all. Actually, he done the same thing with the Hikari Bio-Gold pellets when we first fed them to him.........sucked them and they were GONE!! We will finish the Hikari that we have and, then decide if we want to go with NLS as a secondary pellet or stay with Hikari as a secondary one. We do want to a little food variety for him.

As far as how many/how often to feed: For now we are going with 4 pellets in the AM and 4 pellets in the PM. He sure seems to handle the 8 pellets just fine and swims around the aquarium like a "care-free" betta should! Will continue to feed a small piece of frozen bloodworm as an afternoon treat once or twice a week and fast on Wednesdays.

Sure are glad we got this all straightened out now........LOL.
Cody27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #22 
jaysee
Reference Team

I'm not all that impressed with omega one either, to be completely honest. The fact that they do not list their proteins as meals indicates that they use the wet weight of the fish for determining it's weight, and thus position on the label. While salmon is a terrific ingredient, especially whole salmon, fish loses 80% of its weight in the mealing process so it's not necessarily as abundant as they would have you believe. Despite what some might say, meals are NOT inferior ingredients. Fish must be converted to a meal in order to be used in fish food.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #23 
mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I'm not all that impressed with omega one either, to be completely honest. The fact that they do not list their proteins as meals indicates that they use the wet weight of the fish for determining it's weight, and thus position on the label. While salmon is a terrific ingredient, especially whole salmon, fish loses 80% of its weight in the mealing process so it's not necessarily as abundant as they would have you believe. Despite what some might say, meals are NOT inferior ingredients. Fish must be converted to a meal in order to be used in fish food.
I checked it out at Petsmart the other day, and I also was not impressed with it.
I'm glad I found smaller NLS, gonna try again with these guys and gal and they should be able to hold these two down.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #24 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:

I just wanted to clarify..... I'm not saying that omega one is not a good food. I'm saying we just don't know about it's quality. Salmon could still be the most abundant ingredient AFTER it's been converted to meal - the 20% that is left could still be the number one ingredient. We just don't know though.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:34 AM   #25 
mart

Quote:
I just wanted to clarify..... I'm not saying that omega one is not a good food. I'm saying we just don't know about it's quality. Salmon could still be the most abundant ingredient AFTER it's been converted to meal - the 20% that is left could still be the number one ingredient. We just don't know though.
True. But how much of whats on the labels should we really believe anyway. Just look at the food we eat. They lie on the labels of our food, so why would we make fish food labels the Holy Grail. Food for thought.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #26 
Cody27

Excellent point! But, we all know that most pet owners (fish, dog, cat, bird, etc.) look at the ingredients of the product, or, if the pet owner is a Beginner w/the pet they own, are told what is in certain products or what to look for.

There is all kinds of info on the Internet pertaining to fish nutrition/food....some good, some questionable. I have read quite a few of these articles and they are very interesting/informative. Some say the first/#1 ingredient to look for is Fish Meal, while others are very straightforward about certain ingredients.......like the ones in Omega One Buffet. That brand of pellets is mentioned in quite a few articles. Why? Because the first ingredients on the label is: Whole Salmon, Halibut and Shrimp. Hikari Betta Bio-Gold's first ingredient is Fish Meal, which is good and not so good, depending on who a person talks to. As for NLS Betta Formula, great ingredients and very highly recommended on websites that discuss Betta care.

So, basically it's up to each individual, but I know that we want to give our betta the best we can find. There are people that buy Ol' Roy dog food from Wal Mart and, when we had our dog, wouldn't give that dog food a second look. We all want nice/healthy/beautiful beta's just like we want a nice/healthy/beautiful dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
True. But how much of whats on the labels should we really believe anyway. Just look at the food we eat. They lie on the labels of our food, so why would we make fish food labels the Holy Grail. Food for thought.
Cody27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #27 
jaysee
Reference Team

Betta Food Variety AND Amount?

Quote:

They don't lie - they adhere to a specific set of rules that most people don't understand. It's the kind of thing for which they ought to have a continuing education class. And let's be honest - many many people simply don't care about what's in the food they eat.... I'm sure there are a number of people that care more about their pets diets than their own.

Last edited by jaysee; 03-19-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #28 
mart

Quote:
They don't lie
And you know this how?
All company's lie about their products, even the so called Organic company's.

I still abstain to from believing everything that is put on a label is true.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #29 
ClassicRocker

Yes, some BIG scientific word ingredients, and their definitions, are largely pretty "foreign language" to a lot of us, whether on pet food containers or human editable items. We all know words like salmon, halibut and shrimp and we really like to see those words on fish food and highly recommend fish food that has ingredients like those in them. I think the only way a person could really know what goes into an eating product, being fish or human, is to visit the processing plant and ACTUALLY see what goes in.

Up until 2008, wife and I would pretty much just buy food and that was it. Didn't look at ingredients or expiration dates. When I found out that I was a Diabetic II, late 2008, things changed. We looked at sugar content and other things. Do it even more now since my wife was recently diagnosed at a Diabetic II. And then, after finding out the expiration dates on some food stuff (didn't buy), that triggered us to start doing that all the time. Backed off on buying/eating frozen tv dinners, and such, due to the Sodium content.

And then I found out that there are expiration dates on different fish foods as well, so now keep an eye on that!

Quote:
They don't lie - they adhere to a specific set of rules that most people don't understand. It's the kind of thing for which they ought to have a continuing education class. And let's be honest - many many people simply don't care about what's in the food they eat.... I'm sure there are a number of people that care more about their pets diets than their own.
ClassicRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #30 
jaysee
Reference Team

Betta Food Variety AND Amount?

Quote:
And you know this how?

All company's lie about their products, even the so called Organic company's.

I still abstain to from believing everything that is put on a label is true.

Like I said, they have some wiggle room under the law to "Mis"represent the ingredient list but they are still all regulated by the FDA, plus many states have further regulations.

You're welcome to be as mistrusting as you like.