Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #1 
JamieTron

Diet question for fry

Hrm to my dismay I found out that the petstores in my new area do not carry brine shrimp cysts and they will order them but for 50 bucks a big huge can, which I don't think I want to invest in right away as this is my first time spawning.

SO I want to buy a microworm culture instead online because they are cheap and look easy to grow

I have found I can grow infusuria now for the first week (yay I did it!) lol but after that....

I have one small vile or brine shrimp cysts from before I moved, could I mix the diet for the fry like one meal brine shrimp and the next worms? or brine shrimp every few days or something? Would this be acceptable?

the pet store tried to sell me flakes and frozen food...I told them I won't accept non live food for my fry.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #2 
dman

i have the same problem T_T
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:40 AM   #3 
DefyingGravity

I've read that it is good to mix the food for the fry, so they don't become picky when they are older, and ensures they get the nutrition they need, but I'm not 100% sure, having never tried it, or even had any fry as yet.
DefyingGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think there would be any problem with mixing the food. It might be healthier for the fry to have a varied diet.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #5 
puppyrjjkm

Has anyone used Hikari First Bites? That's the only fry food they sell here. I know you couldn't use it until like week 6 or something... just curious.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
Has anyone used Hikari First Bites? That's the only fry food they sell here. I know you couldn't use it until like week 6 or something... just curious.
I started using it at like....week two or three I think, can't remember. It took a little while for them to actually eat it, but after a few feedings with it mixed in with BBS they'd eat it on its own :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #7 
JamieTron

okay thanks guys just wanted to make sure just in case! My worms should come in pretty soon I am really excited my bettas are ready and conditioned now I just need to start my worm and brine shrimp cultures and I can set up my spawning tank eeee *excited* lol
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm excited for you. It sounds like you're all set.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #9 
puppyrjjkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
I started using it at like....week two or three I think, can't remember. It took a little while for them to actually eat it, but after a few feedings with it mixed in with BBS they'd eat it on its own :)
Would it be possibly to use BBS for the first week or so until they would eat the first bites, then just feed them the first bites? I'm looking into breeding and I would have to buy BBS online, just trying to find the easiest feeding situation possible! Haha thanks
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #10 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
Would it be possibly to use BBS for the first week or so until they would eat the first bites, then just feed them the first bites? I'm looking into breeding and I would have to buy BBS online, just trying to find the easiest feeding situation possible! Haha thanks
I suppose you could try....though every place I've read says that there should be some sort of live food in their diets until they're much older.....I know there are some more experienced breeders who raise their fry only on prepared foods, but most places say that fry just don't grow as well without live food in their diet. Maybe buy a couple other cultures, like Microworms or Vinegar eels and go from one to the other?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote