Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #1 
RobinM

Newbie questions

Hi All- I don't know the first thing about bettas but I could talk your ear off about retired racing greyhounds!

My DD has a betta. She got him for their 2 year old. The fish is not in a heated tank, no light and just kinda hides. I had no idea that they require heat, light etc. (no flames please) They have had him for about 6 months.

I am thinking of taking him off her hands and giving him a proper tank with all the trimmings.

He hasn't bonded with them as they don't do anything but give him food and I suspect clean his tank.
I'd lile to do more for him.

I read that the air temp should be much different than the water temp. That is not realistic if the water temp should not be colder than 76 degrees. Our air temp is about 65-70 on any given day in the house.

what are the best specs for keeping a betta.

thanks, Robin

Last edited by RobinM; 02-06-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: ETA Japinese fighing fish
RobinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. We usually recommend a 2.5 gallon or larger tank. You don't necessarily HAVE to have a filter but they help to keep the tank cleaner and if you cycle the tank then a filter is a must. Bettas are tropical fish and should have a heater unless they are kept in a very warm room. Mine are kept in a bedroom that probably doesn't go below 75 degrees. I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #3 
Eolith

Don't worry, I think most of us here don't like to get pissy about improper care. We just like to give you the info that you need to improve your betta's living conditions. Plus, I think that all of us can recognize and appreciate that you do care about your betta... otherwise why would you bother posting here.

Your betta will need a minimum of 2.5 gallons, and he will need a heater and a filter in his tank (well the filter is somewhat optional but it makes life much easier in my opinion). He'll also do best with a few broad-leafed fabric plants and/or a cave to hide out in when he feels the need. Craigslist can be a great resource for getting complete tank setups for very little money. Other cheap options are using medium to large sized kritter keepers and setting it up with a heater and a filter. I can help you find specific links for items that you need if you like. Set me a budget and I'll try to get together a complete setup for you. ^_^
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #4 
Tragedy

I wouldn't worry about the air temp thing, that's for people without heaters mostly (: My room stays at 65 even though my tanks is at 78 xD
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #5 
RobinM

Thanks for the relies. I am going to go to Petsmart tomorrow and look at their setups. If my DD doesn't want to give him their fish, I may get one of my own.

I was reading about someone's betta passing today on another forum (greytalk) and I was so taken by her connection with her friend. I cried with her for the loss of "Mickey".

So, one way or another, I am thinking about a betta for me!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #6 
Eolith

I think our job here is done. ^_^ You sound like a very compassionate person, someone who always wants to ensure the optimum health and happiness of all her critters... just like so many of the rest of us.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #7 
RobinM

Will let you know of tomorrows visit to petsmart (as long as the snow holds off)!!;)
Old 02-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #8 
2brown347

If you haven't already I'd recommend checking out this guide to colors and tail types http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29868 it's one of the best guides I've seen on the subject and it's nice to have an idea of what you want before you go in. That being said sometimes you end up with something completely different then what you plan on
2brown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 AM   #9 
Hadouken441

Dont listen to any advice the guys at petsmart tell you they most likely will tell you the wrong thing. If I were you i would get the 10 gal starter kit thats going on at petsmart on sale ($50 with tank, hood, heater, filter, thermometer, and conditoner) and with the 10 gal you can even start to have more fun with adding other fish in there! (Topics on this forum that have betta fish compatability :D) But good luck with everything!
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:59 AM   #10 
Tinthalas Tigris

Please be advised.

If you choose to get the $50 TopFin 10 gallon starter kit from PetSmart, and run the filter and heater, it would be best to cycle the tank first, before purchasing a betta/adding fish to the tank.

The cycling is a very simple process that nearly takes care of itself. It is just a long process that lasts anywhere between 3 and 6 weeks.

It is possible to cycle a tank with a fish intact, but it requires daily water changes of about 10 - 25% water daily, and it is much more difficult the more fish in the tank, and the less water volume you have to work with.

A 10 gallon tank for 1 male betta is more than enough room thoguh, so if all in all, that is all that is going to be in there, I say go for it, and you will be very satisfied with the $50 purchase.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote