So my friends Betta who is in my care has grown white fuzz on his face.
1. What is the size of your tank?
2.5 gal (Actually 5 gal but its split)
2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
Last check with an ATI Master Test Kit, all was normal and within correct ranges. If you want exact values, I can go re-check.
3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
2 days? -facepalm-
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
I've had them a day. 1 Male (who is sick) Betta, and 1 female (who does not appear sick) Betta.
6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
No, they were the first inhabitants.
7. What temperature is the tank water currently?
78 - 80
8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
Aqua-Tech Power Filter 5-15
10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?
11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
Not direct sunlight. The aquarium light is left on 8 hours a day.
12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
The tank has only been up 2 days.
13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
Betta pellets. 2 in the morning, 3 at night
14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
White fuzz on his face
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.]
None, but I added salt to the tank when they were added to help with stress.
I was thinking it was Columnaris, but my guppies had that before and it looks nothing like this.
I figure it's actually probably a fungus, but I want to make sure you agree. Also, what should I use to treat it? I have BettaFix but I'm not sure if that's any good, period, plus it's for fins, not for fungus.
He is already removed from the tank and in my hospital tank, BTW.