Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #1 
Slipstitch

Totally brought it on myself.

Okay, so I've kind of developed a soft spot for these little guys. So when I walked into petsmart to get some freeze dried brine shrimp and a couple other things and to look at decor for the tanks and to get a filter, I stopped by the betta cups. It was like a scene from a horror movie. All of them were in water so filthy it made a walmart betta's water look pristine and bottled water clear. A 3rd of them had fungal infections so bad that they looked like puffy little clouds with fins and most of that was growing out their gills, a quarter of them were dead in their cups, all of them had fin rot, and only one was even close to saveable. I informed the store manager that those conditions were ridiculous and such and he simply looked at me like I was crazy. I bought the one that I thought might be saved, I couldn't help it. I couldn't let him end up like the rest. Well, it appears that his main issue is fin rot, which has claimed one of the decorative pectoral fins. He eats well, but of course isn't that active. The only thing that I'm not sure about as far as what's up with him is that when he sits still, he's lopsided. Never does he lay completely on his side, but he certainly isn't staying as vertical as bettas normally do. Is this due to his missing that fin or is it something more serious? I'm already treating him for the fin rot as per OLF's previous directions to me for Poseidon's, but if the lopsidedness is something else... How do I tell? And what's more, how do I help him?
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #2 
Marona

Possible Swim Bladder Disorder?
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #3 
Slipstitch

I was thinking that there may be something to do with his swim bladder... Just dunno what to do about it or if I need to worry. He seems to be fine at swimming, it's the resting part that he sits funny at.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #4 
Marona

Does he seem to swim straight then sort of float in the wrong direction once he stops moving?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #5 
Slipstitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marona View Post
Does he seem to swim straight then sort of float in the wrong direction once he stops moving?
Pretty much. Just a bit off center, enough that if I only glance at him I spazz, thinking he's actually on his side, lol.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #6 
Marona

Sounds like Swim Bladder Disease. I'm not sure of natural cures for that but your LFS should have some treatments for it.

Maybe OFL can help.

I would suggest some decaf green tea if you have it laying around. If not grab some of either that or Indian Almond Leaves or dried oak leaves. They all have tannin in them. C: It relaxes the fish.
I'm not sure if an Epsom salt dip would help with swim bladder.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #7 
Slipstitch

I currently have him sitting in an epsom salt dip with decaf green tea as a treatment for the fin rot, actually, lol
Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #8 
Marona

Oops. :D Haha. I must of skimmed that part lol.

You'll have to wait to see what some more experienced users will offer for advice, then, sorry! At least you know it's SBD, now.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #9 
Slipstitch

I don't think I actually mentioned the exact treatment that I'm giving him, lol. I'm really hoping he pulls through, once he's back to normal I just know you guys would love pics. He's super lovely.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #10 
Slipstitch

Tried to upload a pic, but it's just too big and fuzzy... >.<