Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #1 
TokyoBetta

Adding salt to the tank as a preventative measure

I was reading about ICH/ICK today just because I wanted to be prepared if anything ever happened, and I read that you can put about 1 table spoon of non-iodized table salt for every 5 gallons into a fresh water tank with no harm to the fish, and that this will be good at preventing ICK, encouraging fin healing if necessary, all kinds of things. In general salt helps heal wounds for humans and this is also apparently true of fish, even fresh water water fish.

This website though was a home-made website. Although, the person seemed quite knowledgeable.
This was also not in specific reference to Bettas.

Does anyone do this or has anyone heard of this?
TokyoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Yeah I use salt in ALL my tanks. Except for the one with my snail in it. 'Cause snails don't do well with salt.

I'd use salt. It just makes the fish healthier and prevents all sorts of yucky things.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #3 
vaygirl

My betta Kilo had ich and I managed to kill it that way. I used a tbsp + 1/2 tsp of salt (for a 6 gallon tank) and kept his heat at 84 and his ich left his body in about 2 days and never reappeared on him. I caught it VERY fast though. He only had one spot on him when I started treatment. It's been over a week now. Still no signs of ich.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #4 
TokyoBetta

Thanks for the input, it seems salt really is good!

vaygirl, as for the ich, what did it really look like on yours?
Sometimes I think i see a spot but it's just a bubble.
Then sometimes I see him swimming and rubbing against things but it's brief and not consistent, it's like he's playing.

I've read that ich exists in all tanks to a degree but that it really takes hold when the fish is stressed and compromised, kind of like humans and the common cold. I was just thinking that after water changes he may be stressed and vulnerable.

BTW, is sea salt okay to add? It's the most natural and best for us, but i wonder about fish. These are after all fresh water fish.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #5 
Tinthalas Tigris

from what i have read, salt is salt is salt in a tank.

Whether you choose to use table salt, or anti-caking margarita salt, the bottom line is the additional minerals and anti-caking agents are beneficial to the fish's metabolism and respiratory system in general.

I stick to Morton's Kosher Salt, and have been very pleased with the results.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #6 
Eolith

You know I don't really agree that sea salt is what's natural and best for us. I think of it this way: all salt is technically sea salt. The "common" salt is typically mined from places where there was a sea at one point, but it has long since dried up. The stuff sold as sea salt is from our modern seas, which we as humans have spent the last few hundred years dumping all sorts of chemicals and junk into. My logic is that I would prefer to get my salt from a sea that was untouched by humans when it dried up... but I'll just shut up now.

Back on topic: I keep 1/4 tsp per gallon of salt in all of my tanks as a maintenance measure. I use the salt that is sold as aquarium salt at the pet stores. This stuff: http://www.petco.com/product/1697/Aq...t=OnSiteSearch
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #7 
vaygirl

I used aquarium salt for Kilo.

It looked just like a grain of white sugar or salt and it was on his dorsal fin, both sides. It was easy to see on him because he's very dark so it stood out like crazy when I was watching him. It burst open in about 2 days and it was a pinhole, then it closed up and that was that. Nothing else appeared.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #8 
TokyoBetta

Thanks a lot for your input guys.

I've read it starts on the fins but can spread to the whole body.
I guess when it's on the body it's gone unnoticed or unattended for some time.

I will get some aquarium salt next time I'm at the pet shop and put it in the tank with the next water change!
One more thing that should make my fish healthier and happier!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #9 
Jupiter

I use salt in all my tanks, and it's really great! It heals my girls' fins up nicely when they get nippy with each other.
I used to use bettafix, but it's quite expensive...considering the small container it comes in for $4.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I put a little aquarium salt in all of my tanks and it's been working great for me. It also gives them electrolytes. I've heard that table salt is horrible for them so I would stick to aquarium salt and I think sea salt is the same?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote