Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #1 
sockyted

Petco Betta acting weirdly

Hey guys-
Today I bought a betta at Petco to go in my 14 gallon tank (already inhabited by two ADF's). When I got him, he seemed depressed and pale- but I chalked it up to living in a tiny cup for a long time. I acclimated him to my tank more quickly than I would have liked; it took around 30 minutes. At first, he explored the tank and swam normally. After half an hour of swimming, he retreated to floating behind the heater at the top of the tank or swimming right next to the filter. He'd move if I jiggle the heater/filter, but return once I leave. I got worried that he might have a bacterial infection, so I moved him to a quarantine tank (1 gallon Kritter Keeper). Now, he's swimming around normally and seems happy in his little one gallon plastic box (no weird floating). Is this normal? Should I not keep him in a 14g?
sockyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #2 
truthequalslies

do you have lots of plants in their? he may have felt overexposed? or maybe he's a lil weirdo and is afraid of haveing too much space? or just needs time to adjust? thats all i could think of @ the momment
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #3 
sockyted

:/ I have three plants and a tiki cave-like object. But I don't think he can fit into it. How many plants does a betta usually want (in a 14g)?
sockyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #4 
Jupiter

Yes, the transition from a little cup to a big 14 gallon may be a bit shocking to him at first. If he has a lot of plants and hiding spaces, he should adjust in a few days. My bettas usually hang around the heater when i first get them, as well.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #5 
reaperss06

I don't know about the 14g specific but when I moved mined into the 2g I have he kind of sat behind the plant and hid, would come out to let me know hes still in there, but mostly likes the plant. He kind of enjoyed the heater as well.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Sounds like he just needs some time to adjust.

As for the tiki cave, please make sure he can't wedge himself in there. If he's like most bettas, they're very curious and he will try to fit in and he could get stuck.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #7 
vaygirl

My Kilo did the same. He checked the tank for inhabitants, found no one and then hid behind the heater most of the first and second day. Is the filter very strong? He might not be used to that either.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #8 
Eolith

Just for an idea of comparison, I've got 5 fake plants of varying sizes, 2 live plants, a small piece of driftwood, and a cave in my 10g tank. Finn love love loves exploring all of the little nooks and crannies between all of the plants, and he's never very far from a place where he can hide if he feels he needs to.

Result: huuuuge bubble nest at the top of my aquarium. I haven't seen one this big from any of my bettas before him.

My 5g tank with Jack has 4 fake plants and a cave, which he also enjoys.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #9 
Jupiter

Yes, I'd recommend adding a few more plants. Or at the very least, an appropriate cave-type area he can go hide in to feel secure.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote