Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #11 
beautiful Betta

When I first got my boy in the avatar, he actually had a hole in his top fin, I didn't use anything on it, apart from clean warm water, it healed, then it opened up again, and then tore, and then healed again, I think it was a result of a weak area in his fin, once it healed from the tear, it was alright then. I didn't do anything, apart from keeping his conditions tip top. Good luck with him and try not to panic too much, betta's do tend to be prone to damaging their fins.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #12 
Scubakrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Have you tried putting him back into the original container you had him in? Some fish don't handle large tanks well. They prefer smaller spaces, and they stress out in larger spaces (even though you'd think they shouldn't).
Actually no! I never thought of that. When I had adopted him, I only thought he'd make a nice desk ornament... I feel bad for being so ignorant then! Because I've come to love him so much.
But I have moved him into a 5gal for a fin treatment that causes aquarium sealant to dye green/blue. I didn't want to get it on the sealant on his 10gal, nor his tank decor. I'll keep an eye on him and see if he possibly likes the smaller environment better! However, he didn't seem to mind the large tank. He did swim around it quite freely and casually.
Scubakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #13 
Scubakrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful Betta View Post
When I first got my boy in the avatar, he actually had a hole in his top fin, I didn't use anything on it, apart from clean warm water, it healed, then it opened up again, and then tore, and then healed again, I think it was a result of a weak area in his fin, once it healed from the tear, it was alright then. I didn't do anything, apart from keeping his conditions tip top. Good luck with him and try not to panic too much, betta's do tend to be prone to damaging their fins.
Ahh, I see! So the hole might be able to close up?
I looked around his tank for any signs of the shreds of that he might've torn on an ornament or the driftwood, but I couldn't find any, which is why I also suspected fin rot.
Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #14 
beautiful Betta

Yes the hole will be able to mend. It did sound like when he was in his big tank he was happy. Generally as a rule the more water volume the more stable his environment is, so bigger is better in that respect, but it is true some betta's get stressed at the space, but that is usually if they have just come out of a small cup into a large tank. your boy went from a 5 gal into the 10, so he probably wasn't as stressed as perhaps a fish that would of just come from a tiny cup into a 10.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #15 
Scubakrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful Betta View Post
Yes the hole will be able to mend. It did sound like when he was in his big tank he was happy. Generally as a rule the more water volume the more stable his environment is, so bigger is better in that respect, but it is true some betta's get stressed at the space, but that is usually if they have just come out of a small cup into a large tank. your boy went from a 5 gal into the 10, so he probably wasn't as stressed as perhaps a fish that would of just come from a tiny cup into a 10.
Nope, I actually had him in a 1gal glass vase when I first got him. The 5gal I had bought today to serve as his hospital tank because I couldn't fit a heater in the large jug I was going to use to treat him originally.
Excuse me if I'm not being clear with his housing history!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #16 
Scubakrat

Also, does the pH of the water have anything to do with stress?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #17 
beautiful Betta

No your PH will be fine. Betta's are quite hardy to PH, it is worse to mess about with PH buffers, as they create fluctuating PH ranges, your boy will be used the PH now and to try and mess about with it will only stress him out more.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #18 
NeptunesMom

What shape is the vase? If it's shaped in a way that he can easily get access to air, and you could find a small heater for, I would put him back in the vase and see if there is an improvement. Just because he was swimming around doesn't mean he was happy, it just means he was exploring.

ETA: Why are you treating him for fin rot? He doesn't look like he has rot in the pics you posted.

ETAA: Did this behavior start after you started treating him? Medications should really only be used in cases of severe fin rot. Medications can stress fish.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 03-19-2014 at 11:14 PM.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #19 
Scubakrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
What shape is the vase? If it's shaped in a way that he can easily get access to air, and you could find a small heater for, I would put him back in the vase and see if there is an improvement. Just because he was swimming around doesn't mean he was happy, it just means he was exploring.

ETA: Why are you treating him for fin rot? He doesn't look like he has rot in the pics you posted.

ETAA: Did this behavior start after you started treating him? Medications should really only be used in cases of severe fin rot. Medications can stress fish.

The vase is a thin and long tube-like container that is as tall as his 10gal. It was rather small and offered little to no swimming room, due to it's slender shape, and the reason I decided to give him the 10gal was because he was rather lethargic in the vase container.
It wasn't until he began adjusting to his 10gal that he perked up and began to interact with me and anything going on outside. He normally ignored me, but ever since the larger tank, he comes up to watch me and greet me. He'll even swim up when he sees my phone... I'm beginning to think he actually likes getting his picture taken xD
He was always able to swim up vertically to kiss the surface for air, but vertical swimming was pretty much the only kind of swimming that could be done in that environment and it seemed to depress him. Also, the smaller surface area of the water allowed for biofilm to build up quickly while I was at work. An educated guess lead me to believe that this wasn't too good for him, since he needs to surface for air. I felt it would make inhaling the oxygen harder for him because he'd have to go through a layer of slime to get it.

I'm treating him for fin rot because his fin began to deteriorate before I added anything that could've torn them up. It isn't exactly the fin itself (save for the hole I found this morning), but mostly the "spines" crowntails are known for. They've shortened significantly on the tops of both his dorsal and caudal fins.

His behavior hasn't changed at all, actually. He was always lethargic in his old vase. It wasn't until I moved him into the 10gal that he perked up and began to show off his personality, which I've come to love so much.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #20 
NeptunesMom

Okay, well just so you know I wouldn't treat fin rot with unless it is severe. His fin rot is mild, and could've been treated with increased water changes and better water maintenance. When you treat with meds you are helping to decrease that meds effectiveness down the road when you really need it. It's also a stressful process on the fish (no matter the meds).
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, illness, sick betta, sickness, stress