Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #1 
bonfiliof

Betta not doing well..

I've recently transferred our betta into a larger 10 gal tank. He was in a 1.5g tank but did not like the change in temp. He would just lie on the bottom and not eat in old tank, but I knew it was because of the temp change of the water.

I got the new tank, treated it, and got the temp to around 75-78. I slowly acclimated him to the new temp and he seemed to transition fine. Even the addition of 4 Corys didn't change his mood or actions.

After almost a week he still will not eat, he sits at the top of the tank occasionally moves and now is looking VERY pale in his body. Saturday I tried putting a mirror near to get him going, but he just looked at it a bit and did a little backwards swimming. He is going on 2 years old since we got him, so I am not sure he is getting on in life.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
bonfiliof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #2 
kelly528

Could be that he is getting old, he is approaching the 'end years' in terms of betta lifespan... Is it possible that the filter is too strong? Also the tank needs to be densely planted for bettas. They are not big on the whole open water idea.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #3 
bonfiliof

Thanks Kelly. I think he might have had some issues before the new tank. I just did some more research and from looking at some photos and how he is now, he definitely has Dropsy. I'm bummed because I thought I was doing a good job taking care of him.

And from what I read it looks like it's a terminal sickness, so now I am not sure if he is really just suffering in the tank. I am going to remove him from the tank tonight (once our daughter goes to bed) because I don't want the chance of it spreading to our new corys.

poor little guy.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #4 
kelly528

Oh shoot I would try treating with Maracyn 2. Might want to treat the whole tank as dropsy is highly contagious.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #5 
bonfiliof

Thanks for the tip!