Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #1 
Ronin

Fighting dropsy (and winning)

For the longest time I assumed Sarge was coping with constipation and swim bladder disease, but after a week of fasting, epsom salt baths, and then some daphnia with only slight improvement I decided there must be something esle going on here. Looked around the interwebs for his symptons: bloating (anywhere from slight to rediculously huge, may be isolated to abdomen) listlessness, trouble with balance. Check, check, and check. No pineconing, but it seems I caught things early enough to save Sarge. Have been treating with tetracycline for four days now. This morning, bloating has reduced (still has a little pooch going) and is now swimming around his tank, as opposed to the last two weeks spent either hiding in his stump or floating at the surface. Still not his usuall lively self, but there's still a two days worth of medication to give him, and another round if necessary. But it seems it was a bacterial infection and that he'll pull through. I have also heard of a medication "Clout" curing dropsy, but after reading the box, it seems to be more of an anti-parastic (picked it up just incase, and it was only $3)

Figured I'd just post this, seeing as there have been a few threads about dropsy lately, just to prove it can be fought and that you can keep your little buddy from going belly up with a little luck and perserverence.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #2 
bonfiliof

My guy is in a tank with 4 Corys and has this. Someone mentioned using Jungle's Fungus clear? Do you think that will work?
bonfiliof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #3 
Ronin

First: I'd make sure that its not just constipation and SBD, unless he's already pine-coning. It can be possible to save a fish that has pineconed, so no need to start making fish-funeral arragnments if he is.

Second: Well, dropsy as we know it seems to be more of a symptom than a disease in and of itself. It can have all kinds of causes, which could also be why fish will dislplay different symptoms, I've seen some with what looks like just a little bloating in the stomach, but has the typical "pine cone" look. I've also seen cases where their stomach becomes huge to a pont of inceduality with no pine-coning. Bacterial infections seems to be the most common cause, with parasites coming in second. Haven't really found anything about it being caused by a fungus, but I suppose it could be possible. I'd probably treat it with a broad spectrum antibiotic first. The bottle/box will say "treats gram-positive and gram-negative" and if that doen't work, you can probably find Clout at a local pet store for a cheap anti-parasitic. But you'll have to have him in a hospital tank, Clout can do SERIOUS damage to your cory cats. I'd try the anti-fungal as a last ditch if the onther treatments don't show any improvement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #4 
bonfiliof

Great info.

He has started to pine cone already, and he has some bloat in his stomach, fins are getting a little thin at the tips to. I did move him back into his old 1.5 gal tank last night so I can treat him. I will get some of that stuff you mentioned.

Thanks a bunch!
bonfiliof is offline   Reply With Quote