Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Exclamation My New fish needs HELP!

Today at Petco ALL of the bettas were sick. All of the ones that really needed rescuing were the $12 king fish and the $8 CTs. I couldn't afford them so I bought a regular male that I think is a Spade Tail

He really looks like a cross between a King Fish (King body) and a VT (VT fins).
All he is doing is laying at the bottom of his tank. I haven't seen him come up yet. (He is still alive). He is a cambodian (looks a little like Axel) BUT he has blue-ish vertical stripes. Stress stripes?

What should I put in his water? I have:
-Aquarium Salt
-Betta Revive
-BettaFix

Also I'm going to put him into a new tank right now because that little cup is GROSS.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #2 
ScuitoAmi150

BTW just thought that I'd rant:
I found a betta that looked like he had Swim Bladder Disorder. I took his cup over to the lady and said, "I don't know if you want some advice but this fish has Swim Bladder." She took the cup out of my handle JOSTLED it so he'd swim. She was like throwing him all around! Then she set him on the counter (not gently at all) and said he'd be fine. URGGGGG. I wanted to buy all of the fish but I only had $4 on me.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I had a similar experience when I bought Kilo at Petco (he's a king). I'd just go with clean water for now and maybe salt. Make sure you acclimate him slowly as you can so you don't shock him too much if he's already stressed.

Kilo's cup was filthy too so I would tip a bit of water out of it and add a bit of warm, clean water in while I was getting his tank set up. I just couldn't stand seeing him in that mess. All their kings were that way. I don't think people buy them too often.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #4 
ScuitoAmi150

Yeah! I put him in a tank with aquarium salt. They had this handsome king (blue black with a orange/green/black tail) but they are $12.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a similar experience at a petstore about a year ago. Why are these people not gentle with these fish???
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #6 
ScuitoAmi150

I don't know but it made me so mad!! I wish I had gotten her name so I could report her to the store, that might be a bit harsh but not only was she not kind to the animal and could careless about him, but she was rude to me.

Update: I gave him some Betta Revive (that stuff is magic!) And now he is swimming stronger and his tail is PERFECT spade tail!!!! He is still hanging out on the bottom but he isn't struggling as much as he was.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #7 
ScuitoAmi150

He is still laying around on the bottom (straight up not on his side). When he does swim his swimming is better.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #8 
FuulieQ

Glad to hear he's getting better. C: I'd like to see some pictures once he perks up!!
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #9 
ScuitoAmi150

I'll post some when he is better! =]
He is just laying around the bottom again. His fins aren't clamped but they aren't flared
Old 02-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #10 
5green

thats good, im glad he is doing better! i had the same problem about a year ago i think it was at walmart and i saw 12 DEAD bettas they didnt even care to take them out }=(
5green is offline   Reply With Quote