Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #11 
GingerSnapped

no this fish with the cloudy water issue is in a glass bowl... it looks like a giant (almost 2 gallon) brandy snifter

the one I have NO problems with is in one of those 1.5 gallon acrylic tanks with the light in the lid - and has been in that thing for 3 years with no problems at all

so no it's not the glass bowl itself that's cloudy... and it's getting cloudy within 2 days after a 100% water change WITH gravel/plant rinse!!

that along with water tests make me sure it's NOT an ammonia problem

like I said - this last time I replaced the old gravel altogether with nice new clean river rock (pebbles) - so there was NOTHING old hanging out in there at all... and within 2 days it's cloudy again

this fish with the cloudy water issue is in a glass bowl... it looks like a giant (almost 2 gallon) brandy snifter

the one I have NO problems with is in one of those 1.5 gallon acrylic tanks with the light in the lid - and has been in that thing for 3 years with no problems at all

so no it's not the glass bowl itself that's cloudy... and it's getting cloudy within 2 days after a 100% water change WITH gravel/plant rinse!!

that along with water tests make me sure it's NOT an ammonia problem

like I said - this last time I replaced the old gravel altogether with nice new clean river rock (pebbles) - so there was NOTHING old hanging out in there at all... and within 2 days it's cloudy again

Last edited by dramaqueen; 02-08-2010 at 07:25 PM.
GingerSnapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #12 
sandystar

Wow. Sorry to hear that your having this problem.

Perhaps you should try a water conditioner? You have stated that since you use spring water you don't use water conditioner and that the product the pet store employee suggested doesn't state how often it should be used. Or how safe over usage could be.
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #13 
kelly528

Do you test the water yourself? If so, how often? Do you do so with a liquid test kit or strips?

I know it sounds like we are going in circles here but I strongly suspect that it is in fact your water quality. Pet stores have a reputation for cringeworthy advice and their idea of 'perfect' water is a far cry from the standards of any hobbyist. You don't know what they deem an acceptble concentration of ammonia (espescially if they recommend cups for bettas lol!), whether the employee did the test correctly or whether he was using liquid tests or strip tests (the latter of which are extremely inaccurate). I suggest you purchase an ammonia test kit (which is a necessity with uncycled tanks) and report the ammonia level to us.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #14 
GingerSnapped

sandy ~ I tried water conditioner just for s & g - it didn't help

kelly ~ I will do that... but how can it be the water quality when it is going cloudy in under 48 hours after a 100% water change/complete swap out of all other stuff (totally NEW 'gravel' etc.)

and why would this be happening suddenly after over a year and a half in the same bowl with no prior issues??
Old 02-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #15 
kelly528

Thats why it would make sense that it's an ammonia problem. 1g needs to be changed every 2-3 days approximately to keep ammonia at bay so I wouldn't imagine a 1.5 would be too far behind. In any case an ammonia test would rule out a lot.

It could be perhaps that your betta's digestive system isn't working as efficiently as it used to, meaning less food is being used as energy and more food is passing out of the body as waste.

Just give us that stats whenever you can and we'll go from there.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #16 
GingerSnapped

I didn't feed the fish for 3 days for this reason... he hadn't eaten for a day when I changed the water last and I didn't feed him for 2 days afterward (to make sure that wasn't what was clouding the water

but I'm also confused as to why an ammonia problem like this (if that's what this is) would start suddenly clouding the water after a year and a half of doing things the way I described

and why only THIS fish... none of my other bettas who are also treated - or mistreated as it's starting to seem =(
the same exact way??

anyway - I have no way of getting water testing supplies until the weekend - after that I will let you know the results

and thanks for all your help... and patience!!

I guess my years of good fish luck have run out... it had to happen eventually I guess haaa