Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #1 
1fish2fish

Aquarium Stocking Calculator.

I think this goes here but if not Mods please feel free to move. I found this on my dog forum of all places and it is very helpful. I think it should be sticky-ed.

Its a stocking calculator and quite accurate. The creator is on my dog forum and is constantly making it better and more accurate.

Many people get on here and want to know what kind of tank mates to get and don't think about what their stocking percent is but that should be a major factor. Always shoot for less than 100% stocked.

Here's the link: http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

It tells you how stocked your tank is. What % water changes you should do (although I think they should be greater). Its a great way to know what tankmates you can and cannot have and how many you should have per volume.

My 10 gallon is only 68% stocked with two male bettas and two mystery snails. I can add 10 ghost shrimp and still only be 75% stocked. However my 3 gallon is 131% stocked with a male betta and a mystery snail. I already knew this so I do 3 weekly water changes and vacuum twice a week.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #2 
vaygirl

I've been using that thing like crazy. My 16g is only 60% stocked. I was considering getting two more corys so they'd be more comfortable. With two more it would still only be 74%.

Like you, my 5 gallon hex is overstocked with one betta. I imagine that's due to less surface area. I like the hex but I wish it was long vs. high.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #3 
doggyhog

I did my 10g with three male bettas in it and it says it's only 61 percent stocked.. :D Haha, not that I will be adding anything....
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #4 
ThePearlFish

I love this thing! thanks for posting it! I wish they took into account substrate and algae content too, though those variables might not be so accurate.

I am gonna keep using this thing. :)

My 20g long with an Aquaclear 20 filter and 3 Albino Corys, 3 Cardinal Tetras and 1 Male Betta makes me have:

Recommended temperature range: 75.2 - 80.6 F. [Display in Celsius]
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.6.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 140%.
Recommended water change schedule: 15% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 47%.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

He said he is working on taking stuff like plants, algae, substrate into account but its hard to quantify stuff like that. Like I said its a work in progress but a great tool. Surface area is a big factor in stocking so thats why a 5 gal hex will be more stocked than a standard 5 gal
Old 02-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #6 
ThePearlFish

ahh I see. It is still even without that really informative though.

For the 55g I want to set up, All of the fish I mentioned above plus 4 more Bettas Would still be wayy under the the maximum capacity I could put in there if I had 2 20g Aquaclear filters. I could add three more cardinal tetra and albino corys to my community side. And if any of my future Bettas are tolerant add some companions into their section on the other side of the 55g too.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #7 
Eolith

Eep, I need a bigger filter on my 10g... but I'm afraid that it will blow Finn all over the place if I get a big one.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

you can always get two small ones and buffer them
Old 02-14-2010, 02:54 AM   #9 
Jessiefish

My 3 gallon with a Betta is 115% stocked...?
Jessiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

Do you have anything else in with it? What filtration are you using?

Edit... You don't have a filter.(Yes I'm psychic ;)). I just put your specs in and got the same answer. I believe this calculator is calibrated for cycled tanks. Like I said its not 100% accurate but its a good start. I also don't like that it only says for you to do 11% weekly because on an uncycled 3 you have to do at least 1 100% change a week and probably should do more like 2 or 3 a week.

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 02-14-2010 at 10:57 AM.