Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #41 
yhbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
I'm curious, does the calculator count the neon tetras as jumbo size which most pet stores seem to sell, or the smaller regular size?
I have neons sized at 1.6 inches in DB. I believe those "jumbo" ones are larger than this, correct?
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #42 
JKfish

Yes, according to all the pet store sites I've visited, they are around 2 inches. Also, I'm not sure if this would affect the calculations at all, but if it would, maybe you should try having a divided tank option that allows the user to type in how many gallons of water would be on each side, then being able to enter what fish would be on what side (ex: 25 gallon divided into 15 gallons-5 female bettas, 2 otos. And 10 gallons-1 male betta, 1 oto)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #43 
azjen

I have a question: on the calculator, it suggests that six harlequin rasboas would not work in a 10 gallon with a betta because they can group over an inch but I have seen elsewhere on this forum that they can be together. I have a 10 gallon bowfront aquarium with a Tetra wisper 10i filter. I ask because I was going to go and get a betta and six of the rasboas for it today but want to see if it really will work first... thanks!
azjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #44 
yhbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjen View Post
I have a question: on the calculator, it suggests that six harlequin rasboas would not work in a 10 gallon with a betta because they can group over an inch but I have seen elsewhere on this forum that they can be together. I have a 10 gallon bowfront aquarium with a Tetra wisper 10i filter. I ask because I was going to go and get a betta and six of the rasboas for it today but want to see if it really will work first... thanks!
Is this what you entered?

10g with betta and harlequins

I don't see a message saying they are not compatible or not appropriate for your tank.

Let me know...
Old 05-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #45 
azjen

It does give me the message because my tank is not a regular 10 gallon. The dimensions are not the same as most 10 gallons. Once I put in the dimensions of my tank- it put up the warning not recommending it due to the size of the harlequin.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #46 
yhbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjen View Post
It does give me the message because my tank is not a regular 10 gallon. The dimensions are not the same as most 10 gallons. Once I put in the dimensions of my tank- it put up the warning not recommending it due to the size of the harlequin.
Ok, that's why. Not all 10g tanks are equivalent.

For stocking levels, water surface area of the tank is more important than the total volume. Your tank must be higher than the common 10g tank, hence less water surface areas.

What is the exact dimension of your tank?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #47 
azjen

It is the Tetra 10 gallon half moon tank. It is 17 1/2 inches across the back and then the front is circular. From the center of the back to the front is 10 1/2 inches. The height is 16 inches. It comes with the Tetra Whisper 10i filter. They had them at Petsmart and Petco and I liked the tank because it was glass and the light was really cool.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #48 
yhbae

Yes that tank definitely doesn't feature as much water surface area as the regular 10g tank. Whether that tank is too small or not for Harlequins, you'll have to ask someone else as I am not familiar with that shaped tanks. :) The calculator would go with the surface area when it determines the stock %.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #49 
yhbae

Just deployed another minor update of AqAdvisor. If you have any requests, please post them here. If you see any issues with Betta compatibility still, please let me know too!

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #50 
yhbae

What's new for 2010 09 13 build:

- Added Monster Wolf Fish (Hoplias aimara).
- Added Otto PF450G filter.
- Added Apistogramma macmasteri.
- Added some additional comments to Crayfish that they are good escape artists too.
- Added Jebo 828/829/835 filters.
- Added Sunburst Platy as an alias to Platy.
- Added Eheim 2226 filter.
- Upper temperarature range for Dwarf Petricola has been increased to 25C.
- pH range for Rasbora borapetensis has been updated to 5.5 - 7.5.
- Added Robertsons Cichlid (Amphilophus robertsoni).
- Added Turquoise Cichlid as an alias to Robertsons Cichlid.
- Added False Firemouth as an alias to Robertsons Cichlid.
- Added Blue Sifter as an alias to Robertsons Cichlid.
- Added Aqueon ProFlex series filters.
- Scientific name for Celestial Pearl Danio has been changed to Danio margaritatus.
- Added Blue Botia (Yasuhikotakia modesta).
- Added Twinbar Platy as an alias to Platy.
- Added Highfin Platy as an alias to Platy.
- Added White Cheeked Goby (Rhinogobius wui).
- Added Aristochromis christyi.
- Added Buccochromis rhoadesii.
- Added Buccochromis lepturus.
- Added Champsochromis caeruleus.
- Added Fossorochromis rostratus.
- Added Lichnochromis acuticeps.
- Added Geophagus altifrons.

- Total number of species in DB has been increased to 917.
- Total number of filters in DB has been increased to 333.

To access the application, please click on AqAdvisor site.

If you have any freshwater species that are missing in AqAdvisor DB, please let me know!!! If you disagree with any of the results produced by AqAdvisor, please let me know that too.