Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Can't Find a Job

I'm currently working 4 part-time jobs. I have been trying to find a full-time job that pays well... and I've been hitting so many dead ends. At the end of this semester I will have two masters degrees (I already have an MBA, and now will have an MS). I have years of experience and job stability. My GPA is high, and I am a member of three honor societies. I've had my resume reviewed, and apparently it looks like a "home run". No one knows why I'm not even getting interviews (except the people who are not interviewing me). The jobs I'm applying for are on my college's job database, so they are people looking for new graduates. I always exceed their requirements, but not so much that it's too much. I keep my social media life in check (no crazy pics if you google me), I network and I have great references. Ugh... I've gotten so bored I've applied for low level retail jobs just to get some responses (which is what I've been doing my whole life), and they all want me. I can work for $8 an hour with my two masters degrees... awesome.

The things that adds insult to injury is I know a man who graduated with an AA (nothing wrong with AA's I have one too, but had I known my BA, MBA and MS wouldn't get me anywhere I would've saved over a hundred thousand dollars ), that had a GPA of below 2.0, a history of drug use, and admits he doesn't understand his job... yet he makes $70,000 a year AND has no trouble finding jobs and promotions.

Sorry for the rant... but I'm just getting so frustrated with it all I needed to vent. My aunt has been having trouble finding a job after being laid off two years ago. She was the west coast director of marketing for a multinational corporation. She keeps saying no one wants to hire people with masters anymore, they want AA's and BA's (which is the exact opposite of a few years before that). I just thought she was being overly dramatic, but I'm starting to think it's true.

Is anyone else experiencing job searching problems?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

What are you getting your MS degree in? Is it a life or physical science (biology, chemistry, physics)? There are quite a few companies that like the combination of business/science.

If you are getting a MS in biology or chemistry, look into pharmaceutical, biological, chemical or medical supply/equipment companies. Since you have retail experience and a MBA, consider sales jobs at these companies. Play up your background - you have previous sales experience, previous business experience, and now have a chemistry/biology background.

Also, go beyond the college's database. (It sounds to me like you're seeking an entry level job, but your degrees exceed this level. You don't match what their initial HR screeners are looking for, so they may bypass your resume.)

Do research on companies. Find ones that 'fit' with your background. Go to their websites and search their job postings. (Or do a search via a job-search engine.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-20-2014 at 02:07 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
What are you getting your MS degree in? Is it a life or physical science (biology, chemistry, physics)? There are quite a few companies that like the combination of business/science.

If you are getting a MS in biology or chemistry, look into pharmaceutical, biological, chemical or medical supply/equipment companies. Since you have retail experience and a MBA, consider sales jobs at these companies. Play up your background - you have previous sales experience, previous business experience, and now have a chemistry/biology background.

Also, go beyond the college's database. (It sounds to me like you're seeking an entry level job, but your degrees exceed this level. You don't match what their initial HR screeners are looking for, so they may bypass your resume.)

Do research on companies. Find ones that 'fit' with your background. Go to their websites and search their job postings. (Or do a search via a job-search engine.)
I have an MS in Sociology. My MBA has a concentration in Marketing. They are a good combo for research and analysis, but I have 4 years as a part-time marketing assistant.

The jobs I'm applying for all list MBA's in Marketing as a preference, and I've mostly applied for jobs as Marketing Analyst or Market Research. So I'm not applying for anything that I exceed qualifications by too much. I just have an additional degree that is relevant to the field.

I have no desire to work as a sales person. I will if necessary, but I'm trying to stay away from that.

I have applied for jobs beyond my college career site. I have mostly applied on the college site, because 99% of the jobs I find for marketing positions are only listed as part of a company policy that requires the job be listed. They already know who they are hiring if the job listing closes within a week of being posted.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

A lot of times it's not what you know but who you know.

I know a lot of people in your position. Best of luck!
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Well... I've broken down and started applying for sales jobs. Ugh! I hate sales, but I'm starting to convince myself the flexibility will be good for me. My boyfriend wants to go to WY in July for his 30th, and I am going to WDW in Oct with my mom for a girls trip to run the Tower of Terror race.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #6 
cousiniguana

Where are you looking for jobs? How are you looking for jobs? Would you consider relocating for better work opportunities?
cousiniguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #7 
Betta Nut

I've found the key to landing a job you really want, is to be relentless. You chose the one you really, really want, and then don't be satisfied with just submitting a resume.

You contact them at least twice a week, preferably in person, and even if the job gets filled, continue. If you can't talk to the person you need to talk to, submit weekly followup letters to them, stating why the company means so much to you. It may seem like you are being creepy, but trust me, these things matter to a person who hires. Any area of the work force looks for passion.

This method has never failed me, and I've used it several times. (yes, I have been guilty of job hopping). This makes you stand out over the rest, and lets them know you aren't just a piece of paper that's indescriminately being sent to dozens of employers. They know you want to work for them, and that means something.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

That's THE best advice, aside from networking (who you know).
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #9 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousiniguana View Post
Where are you looking for jobs? How are you looking for jobs? Would you consider relocating for better work opportunities?
I'm in Iowa, I am using the system at the college I'm at, and then checking out websites for the largest companies in the state and applying for jobs there. I can't relocate, but where I live the job market is actually really pretty good.

The ironic thing is... I actually know a lot of upper level people within the companies I'm applying for. My family is very politically active, and my maternal grandfather is a well known and well respected business man, while my paternal side is also well connected and members of all the exclusive clubs. I also went to school with a lot of business people's children (I went to a private school)/went to college with a lot of people (because the place I got my MBA caters to upper level and middle level managers) I know CEO's, CFO's, Board of Director members, etc.. all over this town. But, I won't ask for favors. I was raised that you don't ask for favors you work hard and success will come. Although, I'm starting to seriously doubt that. I have a network of all the wrong people for entry level/low level jobs, but I do have a good network for starting my own business. Which, is what I'm thinking I'll do instead.

ETA: Betta Nut, that's a good idea.. but I am horribly shy. I admire that you are able to do that, but I don't think I could. Especially with the constant rejection. It's hard enough not to write nasty letters to the rejection letters I get now (90% of which are really quite rude). I did kind of respond nasty to one, it was a sales job where I surpassed all their required qualifications. They wrote me and said I did not meet their qualifications. They told me I should apply again after my response to them... umm.. no. Clearly, they didn't even read my resume.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 04-07-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #10 
cousiniguana

Sadly it's who you know, not what you know too much of the time. Have you looked around at www.usajobs.gov ?
cousiniguana is offline   Reply With Quote