Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #1 
ShawnB

Extremely foul water

I am currently have water problems with my 1G tank. I use a mixture of tap water, and Stress coat+ in it, but after a day, the water becomes cloudy, develops a thick skin of oil, and the pH drops significantly. The skin is very thick, it has slime coat in it, so I can't tell if its basic from the feel (though the pH says its very acidic), and also has no odor.

These problems only started happening after I started using stress coat+ in the water, so I'm guessing thats the problem. Before that, I was just filtered tap water.

I change the water in the tank 5 times a week now, but I'm getting tired of it. What is causing this problem?
ShawnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #2 
ShawnB

It doesn't seem to be the stress coat+, a fresh change of only tap water & the coat has a good pH, no skin, and has left the water very clear.

Water else causes really foul water?
ShawnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #3 
kelly528

Overfeeding and overstocking will but frankly it is not at all unusual for a 1g to get dirty so fast. The waste a betta produces has a very high concentration in 1g of water. You will find that if you put the betta in something bigger like a 5g tank the water will not foul for about a week.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote